C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing PS pump, 'small' problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:28 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Replacing PS pump, 'small' problem

After buying the A1 Cardone PS pump (see previous topic), I started the replacement of my old pump.

Using a ps-pump pulley puller and an air ratchet made removing the pulley really easy Too bad actually, considering the two hour drive I had to make to get one

I noticed the lines to the pump also weren't in great shape anymore. I replaced the line from cilinder to valve a few years back and wondered why I didn't replace the ones to the pump as well back then.

Trying to remove the old lines yesterday jogged my memory: the 7/16" inlet hose fitting at the control valve is partially rounded and I can't get grip on it with a normal wrench.

So, how do I best go about this? Vice-grip? Open-end wrench? Cut hose and turn the metal hoping the fitting will come loose? Heat it up? Hammer??

Some pics...

On the home made ramp

Yuck!

Not very spacious really

Yes, the alt + bracket have to move

Fun for scrabble powersteeringpumppulleypuller

Easy job with the tool and air ratchet

Lines in bad shape

The rounded inlet hose fitting
Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

A minature pipe wrench, Vise-Grips or cut metal line just above fitting and use a boxed end wrench.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimvette999
A minature pipe wrench, Vise-Grips or cut metal line just above fitting and use a boxed end wrench.
Thanks! I've been soking them in WD40 and tapping them with a hammer every few hours today. Will give it another try this evening.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:28 PM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Cut the line with a hacksaw and get a socket on it
Old 03-29-2010, 01:35 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Since you are replacing the lines anyway, you can do about anything you want to get them off the control valve, et al. One thing to consider is to prevent metal particles from getting into your components. So, if you hacksaw the lines above the fittings, make sure that you crimp that line closed before the hacksaw cut so that filings can't get into the line/hardware.

I would use the Vise-grip approach using a good-sized set of Vise-grips and squeeze like he!! to get the teeth to dig into the fitting. Also, buy a couple of 6-point fuel/brake line [slotted] box wrenches so that you can put the new lines on properly.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:45 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Control Valve

I see lots of fluid, just in case you get the hoses off and find the rubber seal or something else has let go on that valve and after having my second one bought through the specialty houses spring horrible leaks...wait for it...

I went down to AutoZone and got one - of course this one has a lifetime warranty. Been 3 years and it is dry as a bone, go figure...

Similar stories out there for their sleeved SS brake calipers at $50 apiece - both my rears remain dry after several years...
Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Victory!!

Bought 6-point fuel/brake line box wrench... no sigar

Used several vice-grips... sorry

Took up the saw, tapped a socket over it and hoorray!

Thanks for all the advice guys

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing PS pump, 'small' problem

Quick Reply: Replacing PS pump, 'small' problem