C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power window motor new but now wont work at all?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 PM
glarior
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power window motor new but now wont work at all?

Ok, I hate electrical stuff but I am going to try. Driver side power window motor seemed very weak and would never roll the window up all the way. bought a new motor and installed. However, now the new motor does nothing. Hooked up the old motor and it does nothing either! Stupid window lol. How do I check to see if its the window switch, connection or a break in the wire using the multimeter? This also may relate to why the power locks don't work either. The actuator works but very weak.

Any help?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 08:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Either the motor is not getting any [positive] 'juice' or it doesn't have a good electrical ground. One possibility is that you have a bad ground connection to that motor. If you have a battery jumper cable (and the door panel is off), hook one end of the cable to a known good ground point [not in the door, preferably] and the other end to the motor case. Operate the window again to see if it is any better. If all is good, find the source of the bad ground and you should be good. The other 'common' problem for a slow window is that the switches get carboned-up from years of use so that there is extra resistance built into the contact terminals. There is no reason to replace them as you can open them up, clean them well and put them back in service.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 PM
jtc44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any power window that I have worked on worked like this power and ground is applied to the 2 wires to move the moter in one direction the power and ground is switched to move the moter in the other direction. First test I would make is fuse ok no all fuses ok now use your test lite as the power window moter in other words disconect the moter and hock test lite to the conector going to the moter work switch does the lit. lit. up? If it does that is a good start but we still do not know if power and gnd. are switching to move moter up and down. Forget looking for gnd at body Rember that the moter needs power and gn. to work and thay must switch back and forth to make motert move up and down I hope this helps
Old 03-31-2010, 04:34 AM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this happen to me awhile back....check your power window relay that is about 12" from your power window switch under your counsel.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Correct about the window motor ground being in the motor connector...my error. But the relay is used for both windows, so if one window works OK and the other does not, your problem is not the relay. If both do the same thing, it could be the relay. I still believe your problem is with the switches and/or the motor ground wire (fraying, failing, bad connection, etc.). Also, wiring continuity checks may or may not detect the ground or switch problem. There may be enough connection to pass the small current needed to check continuity, but when heavy current is needed to pass for motor operation, there isn't enough connection to get that job done. In essence, it's like trying to flow a lot of water through a small hole...it isn't going to happen.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM
glarior
Racer

Just thought I would update....

I traced the problem back to the pig tail connection on the window switch. I ordered new one's and will see if that fixes the problem. Ill post back when that happens and give an update.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM
6mn Vette
Instructor

I'm on my third reman window motor and it quit last night. (luckily in the up position) They work for a short time, then all of a sudden, nothing. The switch clicks and you can see the car's volt gauge needle move with the timing of the switch being activated. The passenger door has never had an issue. If you're getting a good ground one day, why not the next?....
I kept thinking it was the wiring somehow, but all the motors work fine when I first put them in....they just don't last. Of course, I'm not paying anything as they have a limited lifetime warranty. But its a PITA to keep taking that door panel off and replacing the motors! Yeah, the're the remans at Oreilleys, and they've been good about the warranty. I'm just wondering if my set up is killing the motors somehow, or I'm just not having good luck with that brand....
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM
irep88
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can u tell us the update on what happen
Old 10-25-2011, 09:39 PM
glarior
Racer

Originally Posted by irep88
can u tell us the update on what happen
I think it was a grouse issue. I have not fixed it yet lol. Since then I have done a ls1, 4l60 conversion, rear end all all that fun stuff. Hope to finish all that in the next few weeks. After that will go back through the wiring. I have all new switches for the windows and locks. I'm pretty sure its just old wires and they have shorted or have ground problems.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I almost "guarantee" that your power window motor is not grounded to the car... Maybe mentioned above, but you can ground the motor to the door, but the DOOR may not be grounded to the CAR.... due to poor ground thru the door hinge pins.

Some folks actually run a ground wire from a screw on the door, thru the conduit (where your wiring runs form door to dash) to a screw on the car, to make sure the DOOR is providing a good ground...

I chased this for quite a while when I converted to power windows...
Old 10-25-2011, 10:07 PM
glarior
Racer

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
you can ground the motor to the door, but the DOOR may not be grounded to the CAR.... due to poor ground thru the door hinge pins.

Some folks actually run a ground wire from a screw on the door, thru the conduit (where your wiring runs form door

I chased this for quite a while when I converted to power windows...
pretty much what I did to test my problem. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To power window motor new but now wont work at all?

Quick Reply: power window motor new but now wont work at all?