C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Smell - cant find the leak - 1975 C3

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:33 PM
sboggs303
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Smell - cant find the leak - 1975 C3

I have the garage fuel smell after I drive my 1975 Corvette. I have dropped the tank and replaced the rubber lines but they were not cracked. The tank is in pristine condition. I took the sending unit out and to my surprise the tank has a bladder and the gasket is attached to the bladder.

Questions:
1) Since the tank is not leaking and the lined were not cracked where should I look for for the leak next?

2) How do I reseal the sending unit? Can I use the existing gasket that appears to be part of the bladder and use some kind of sealant on the bolts or do I rip the badder out and just use the tank?

3) My gas cap does not seal well so I replaced it. Could that be the source of the smell.

Appreciate the help. I will post pictures as I go.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:50 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Did they (GM) use a vapor canister in 75? If so, that could be your source. Or maybe the purge valve on it is not working.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:19 PM
marz
Burning Brakes

They did use a vapor canister in 75. You might check the canister. I removed mine with no problems. You might check the fuel pump to see if it is leaking too. Mine had this irritating leak that you could not detect at first, but the gasket had worn out on it. Check all the connections to the carb and check filters. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:23 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Check both fuel lines where they do 2 90 degree bends under and behind the passenger seat. They lay in dirt and gravel and rust through and then seep, very common thing on these cars.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:33 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

On my 75, I had a leaking metal return line, had a small hole under one of the clamps, seeped but didn't drip for a long time. Check all your metal lines.

If you want to remove the bladder, you must cut the gasket part out of the bladder to reuse. No sealers necessary. I did and cut strips from the bladder for the tank reinstall.

The hose to the canister could be cracked up front too, you can remove it and clean it as best you can. The bottom pops off the cannister, I cleaned mine out a bit but didn't replace the guts.
The cannister to carb hose, I left off, and don't have any smell.

If you can't find any leaks, then don't top off the tank before parking it. The gas can slosh around and end up in the cannister. there is no valve in that setup.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 PM
sboggs303
4th Gear

Thanks, I will purchase a new canister along with replacing all the lines. If that does not do it I will get the car on a lift and follow the metal lines. I'll post back when I get all that installed and the tank back in.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Smell - cant find the leak - 1975 C3

Quick Reply: Fuel Smell - cant find the leak - 1975 C3