C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silv-O-Lite Piston question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Silv-O-Lite Piston question

Maybe one of the engine builders can help me out here. I have a set of Cast (not hyper) Silv-O-Lite 1436 pistons. I've read that the top ring gap must be increased on the hyper type pistons, is this true for the plain cast aluminum pistons too? I know its a strange question. Tim
Old 10-29-2010, 08:29 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,878 Likes on 916 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

No....just use the std .004" or so per inch of bore and you'll be fine. Current thinking is to run a few .000's more on the second ring than the top one.

JIM
Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim81
Maybe one of the engine builders can help me out here. I have a set of Cast (not hyper) Silv-O-Lite 1436 pistons. I've read that the top ring gap must be increased on the hyper type pistons, is this true for the plain cast aluminum pistons too? I know its a strange question. Tim
It has nothing to do with material ... it has everything to do with how thick the top land is (how far the top ring is located toward crown of piston). Both KB and silvolite are made by same company (UEM) and the KB hypers usually have a relatively short top land. The closer the ring is to top, the hotter it gets ... and requires increased gap.

additionally, 1436 has very short 1.540" compression distance ... unless the block gets severely decked it will likely have a poor (too-wide) quench and maybe low compression. CD about 1.560" is nominal.

I do Not like any cast or hyper piston from UEM; don't like several design attributes & don't like quality of machining. I guess UEM ok for the cheapest of non performance replacement rebuild? Suggest a similar cheap hyper piston from sealed power such as H631CP or H669CP or H345NCP; they're hyper but do Not require increased gap.

You local auto machine shop can help you choose and may work with you on parts cost.

Get notified of new replies

To Silv-O-Lite Piston question

Quick Reply: Silv-O-Lite Piston question