C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple Stock Automatic Shifter Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Simple Stock Automatic Shifter Mod

Here is a simple mod that I did on my automatic shifter that I have never seen posted here before and thought I'd share. I've never liked the feel of my automatic shifter. I've looked at aftermarker shifters, but you get into whether it will fit and of course there is the added expense. This mod cost you nothing but time and it's easy. I put a Transgo kit in my TH350 and now tranny shifts good, but never liked the detend of the shifter -- too easy to shift into wrong gear!!! I bought this shifter rebuild kit from Willcox that included new shifter ball, button, 2 springs, and two plastic bushings. After replacing everything, I looked at how the shifter went through the "gate" which only provides a lockout for neutral and Drive. I noted the shifter position for each of the gears (PRND21). I then used a flat edge file to "carve" a reverse gate so that when I put in reverse, I have to push button to move to Park or Neutral/Drive. I used a trianglular file to "carve" a gate for second gear. I angled so that I have to push button to drop from 2 to 1 (with the shift kit, when you put in 1 at ANY SPEED, it goes in 1st -- not always good idea). When shifting from 1 to 2, I can just push forward but now it has deeper detent and a much more positive feel. You can play around with different angles and depths to get different feel and functionality. I hope all this makes sense, bottom line is that now I shift with much more confidence and reduced chance it hitting wrong gear. This is an easy mod that anyone can do and you do not need to remove shifter -- just the console.

Here are a couple of photos to show what I did. First pic is just for point of reference. The second pic shows the locations of the gear select and if you look closely, you can see where I filed grooves for reverse and 2nd gear. I hope someone can make use of this. Before you replace your shifter with aftermarker shifter, you may want to try this.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. That looks like a great idea, especially since direct fit aftermarket shifters are non-existant.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:43 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Good post and a great idea! I am saving the pics/info. Definitely something I will do when I have to pull the console.

I don't have any issues upshifting mine but I have an issue trying to pull it to 2nd from 3rd when doing hwy rolls....I have pulled it into 1st at 60mph twice... Now I have my kickdown working correctly and governor dialed in for 6000rpm shifts so I never manually shift it but....still a worth while mod to do. Then if I go to a manual valve body I don't have to worry about sloppy shifting.

Good thread!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 AM
Spitfire80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That is very intesting !

Once I have the kit installed, I will certainly take a look at my bracket.
The stick has an issue. I can accidently push the stick from neutral to reverse without having to push the button down ! (Eeeeek !)

Thanks Guys !

S80
Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Nice work and I'm sure the new shift locking plate provides you with better feel and more assurance as to which range you are in. As far as downshifting the tranny "too far", you can't really do that...as long as the valve body is working properly. Early auto trannies allowed downshifting to 'any range', and when they were accidentally moved from Hi to 1st range when at speed, some blew up and killed some folks due to an 'overspeed' condition on internal components. Since then, all auto trannies have "shift inhibitors" so that such a condition will not be able to occur. Of course, there are times when the tranny can be shifted into low range but you don't really want that to happen (ie, 3rd to 1st at 40 mph or so). Your modifications will greatly reduce the possibility that such will occur.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:15 PM
braxton69
Intermediate

Default automatic shifter

My first Odsmobile with a floor mounted 350 automatic shifter had a wooden ball with a T-handle that resembled the 4 speed shift lever in the Vette. Not exact but on the dame premise. Check Olds products.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Great modification. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:24 PM
braxton69
Intermediate

Default Shifter

Sorry, thought you were looking for a different look shifter handle.

Get notified of new replies

To Simple Stock Automatic Shifter Mod

Quick Reply: Simple Stock Automatic Shifter Mod