C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper arms+blade pictures wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 AM
voscreature
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper arms+blade pictures wanted

Hi,

Yet another post on wipers. Short story: 1968 BB. Wiper motor works fine and parks OK. Hopwever, blades collide in the middle of the sweep and the passenger side don't park down far enough, thus causing the door to hit the passenger side wiper blade slightly. I have adjusted both the linkage access points and the magic screw "A" but something feels wrong.

Thus, if anyone has a picture showing the wiper arms with blades on the car I would be glad. I have no clue if my arms and blades are correct. See the picture below:

Thanks.

Martin
Old 04-11-2011, 03:10 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here you are,Martian

I can't see where the bend is on your drivers side but your passenger side doesn't look right, '68 wiper arms are '68 only if I remember correctly.

Last edited by DZRick; 04-11-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I have adjustment instructions in a pdf file here.. Should help solve your problem. And I get people that have asked me in the past.. "Below the stop" and yes.. place the blade 1" below the stop. http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...ment_68-72.pdf

I just did this for a friend of mine a week ago!

If you use these instructions and you still can't get them in sync, then you have either a bent transmission lever, bent arm or an issue where the arm rods attach to the bellcrank.

Willcox
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Thanks for the link Wilcox. I need to work on mine some. Mine do not get out of the way far enough. Your paper may make this no longer a problem for me.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

No Problem Eddie.. if it helps 1 person.. it's worth it..
Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 PM
voscreature
Instructor

Very good. Thanks. Bubba has changed the passenger side arm to something incorrect. If you look on my picture you can see that the blade is attached to the wrong side of the arm, and the arm is not angled at all similar to how it should be bent.

I have ordered a set of new repro arms. Will probably solve the colission and park issue.

Thanks again for advice.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 PM
azza2u
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm glad I came across this thread as I've been trying to figure out the same issue with my 68 wipers for a while. The drivers wiper will occasionally just catch the tip of the passenger wiper on its downward stroke. The pics here will help immensely in figuring out if the arms are actually right (as my linkages can't be adjusted any further as per the Wilcox doc).

However can anyone advise what the length of the wiper blade should actually be on a 68? PO of my car seems to have put a 13" blade and assembly on the drivers side and a 14" on the passengers.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:21 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by azza2u
I'm glad I came across this thread as I've been trying to figure out the same issue with my 68 wipers for a while. The drivers wiper will occasionally just catch the tip of the passenger wiper on its downward stroke. The pics here will help immensely in figuring out if the arms are actually right (as my linkages can't be adjusted any further as per the Wilcox doc).

However can anyone advise what the length of the wiper blade should actually be on a 68? PO of my car seems to have put a 13" blade and assembly on the drivers side and a 14" on the passengers.
Both blades are roughly 16" on my '68 pictured above, I've never had any problems with them hitting each other.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 AM
voscreature
Instructor

Mine are also approx. 16.5". I have a new set from Corvette America and also a very old worn out pair that came with the car. Same length on both sides also.

I will see what happens when I install my new correct 68 wiper arms.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM
azza2u
Racer

Well thanks to these pics and comparing them with my car at the weekend I now see that the wiper arms on my car are both wrong as well. Looks like another parts order will be needed.

Cheers.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 AM
voscreature
Instructor

Hi,

Just go my new "68 correct" wiper arms and new Trico blades. Problem with collision out on the windshield solved but no way near a successful closing of the wiper door. Tried all sort of adjustments. I'm not sure what the problem is, perhaps the door is changed and is incorrect? My door has two reinforcement ridges on the underside approx. 1/2"-3/4" inch high which seems to be a major cause for the inerference.

The driver side blad parks very disctinctly on the stop bracket and the passenger side blade also parks close on one edge. The blades are however not very parallell to each other in the park position. Incorrect?

Need moral support here. Some pictures:

Fully open door:

Parked blades:

Collision with ridge on door underside:

Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Is the last picture the drivers side?

If so it looks like you're using two passenger side arms.

Recheck yours to mine again noting where the bend in the arms are. In the mean time I'll try to get some new pictures of mine.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM
voscreature
Instructor

Last picture was passenger side. My arms seems very similar to yours.

I have some more photos. Both blades are 16" long.

This shows the driver side arm with two measurements:

Same on passenger side:

Another pic when arms are parked:

I'm very unsure about why my door hits the passenger side so badly. It's almost like the passenger side arm is too tall. Also, how does a correct 68 wiper door look on the UNDERSIDE? I have two ridges that causes the interference with the arm. PO have used a the pie cake style actuator, not the correct tin shaped actuator. Also, the stainless trim piece is held with 5 clips, not 4 as indicated in the AIM. This makes me confused if PO has replaced the wiper door for another one which leads to my current problems. Car was in poor condition when I got it and has been sitting for 10 years+ so I have no clue about what the history is.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by voscreature
Last picture was passenger side. My arms seems very similar to yours.

I have some more photos. Both blades are 16" long.

This shows the driver side arm with two measurements:

Same on passenger side:

Another pic when arms are parked:

I'm very unsure about why my door hits the passenger side so badly. It's almost like the passenger side arm is too tall. Also, how does a correct 68 wiper door look on the UNDERSIDE? I have two ridges that causes the interference with the arm. PO have used a the pie cake style actuator, not the correct tin shaped actuator. Also, the stainless trim piece is held with 5 clips, not 4 as indicated in the AIM. This makes me confused if PO has replaced the wiper door for another one which leads to my current problems. Car was in poor condition when I got it and has been sitting for 10 years+ so I have no clue about what the history is.
Weather permitting, I'll try to get my car out and get those pictures and check the measurements you posted.
If I'm not mistaken even if the door on yours is from a later year it should cause any problems with the arms.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:04 AM
azza2u
Racer

As with many things on my 68 I can't guarantee it's original, but my door also has the ridge underneath and the 5 clips for the trim. It just catches my non standard wipers slightly sometimes when it's closing.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:38 AM
voscreature
Instructor

azza2u,

It look like your passenger side was similar as mine before I replaced the arms.

My arms looks very similar to DZRicks now, but it still feels like its a long way before passenger side clears the door.

One thing I noted on my setup is that the arms are very non-parallell when parked. It looks wrong, but I do not know.

DZRick: Any comment on how parallell your blades are in parked position?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi vo,
My car is a 71 but I looked anyway.... the blades are VERY parallel and lay against the 'stop' evenly when parked.
Here are 2 pictures of the 71 arms. They may help or may not?
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper arms+blade pictures wanted

Old 04-30-2011, 04:44 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

As Alan said "the blades are VERY parallel and lay against the 'stop' evenly when parked."

BTW Alan, your car is too friggin nice!!

I have about 3/4" clearance between the door and the wipers.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi DZ,
Thanks very much!
I really do appreciate people's comments.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-01-2011, 05:47 AM
voscreature
Instructor

Hmm, interesting. On my car it looks like this:

I guess that is the root problem. I would like to see the blades much more parallell which probably would move the passenger side arm lower when parked.

Can't figure out why my blades parks so non-parallell.....strange....

BTW....the driver side blade should be the blade that firsts contacts the stop, and the passenger side blade rests on the driver side blade?

Quick Reply: Wiper arms+blade pictures wanted