C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One side of my engine runs hotter than the other???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
luerja
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default One side of my engine runs hotter than the other???

I just re-installed my engine, I did nothing to it except polish it up. I did put a new thermostat in it. I also installed extra digital temp gauge for the passenger side of the engine. Now when i start it up and let it run my temp climbs on the passenger side and the temp on the drivers side drops to normal with the fans on.

I pulled out the thermostat and ran it, thinking it was my new thermostat causing the issue. The temps did drop. Before the passenger head was 220+ and climbing and without thermostat it ran at 150.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Maybe it was happening before and i did realize it because the side that was lower was in my original position where i had the single gauge last year.

Thanks
Jim
Old 04-29-2011, 09:42 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Your heat riser valve (installed at the outlet of the exhaust manifold on the right side) is likely stuck closed. They do that with some regularity. If you don't live in really cold weather...or don't drive your C3 in cold weather...wire it "open" or cut the valve plate out of it so that can't happen again.
The following users liked this post:
Omegaspeedy (02-04-2022)
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Trapped air. Drill a couple 1/8 holes in the thermostat.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 PM
luerja
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Your heat riser valve (installed at the outlet of the exhaust manifold on the right side) is likely stuck closed. They do that with some regularity. If you don't live in really cold weather...or don't drive your C3 in cold weather...wire it "open" or cut the valve plate out of it so that can't happen again.
My engine doesn't have one... It is blown and stripped down to the basics.

Last edited by luerja; 04-29-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:03 AM
luerja
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63mako
Trapped air. Drill a couple 1/8 holes in the thermostat.
I did that to the first new thermostat... thought it was a dude and bought another today. I boiled it before i installed it and it worked fine in the pan. But when i install it there is a real difference between the passengers side being hotter and the drivers side being normal.

between the two thermostat installs i did no thermostat and it did push water, so i know the pump is fine.

I am just curious if the placement of the thermostat is the difference? They are both close to the headers.... drivers side is between the 1 and 3 cylinders and the other is between the 6 and 8 cylinders. I have a lazer thermo device and it is telling me the different temps are correct? but then again it reads the block lower than the metal near the thermostat, but not by much.

Last edited by luerja; 04-30-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:37 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Its common on BBC for the head temps to be different,

I read about it in an HP book that with a BBC the temps will be different, usually higher on the passenger head. The book really didn't go into much detail on the causes something about the water pump and flow balance if I remember correctly.

A quality water pump will be designed to balance the flow to each head according to the book.

I have a temp sensor on the outlet of each head in the intake and there is around a 5* to 10* difference between each head.

I've seen were they sell a kit for the SB were you tap into the intake at the rear and run hoses to the T-Stat housing to better balance the cooling. I didn't do much research on this due to I run a BBC, may be something for you to research for info.

Neal

Get notified of new replies

To One side of my engine runs hotter than the other???

Quick Reply: One side of my engine runs hotter than the other???