C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of Vintage air install in non-A/C car???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 AM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions of Vintage air install in non-A/C car???

Now that it is hot out - What do folks have to say about Vintage Air in non-a/c cars???? Worth the effort and cost?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are not concerned about originality, I would say if you want it, get it. I have had many friends, who have installed Vintage Air, in their cars and love it, yes it is worth it.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldsarge
If you are not concerned about originality, I would say if you want it, get it. I have had many friends, who have installed Vintage Air, in their cars and love it, yes it is worth it.

I have heard good things about it. The one thing that really makes sense is the evaporator sets inside the cabin rather than right next to the exhaust manifold in the engine bay.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Installed VA in my non AC 72 coupe. Very straightforward, GREAT customer service on install help. Routing the ducting to the defroster behind the center inst panel is a real b#tch, but just takes some patience.

Highly recommend it!!

Here's a thread I did when I put it in...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ir-system.html

Last edited by MakoShark72; 06-07-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:05 PM
mar
Burning Brakes

Are you reaally required to pull down the center gage console? I understand the shifter console coming apart.

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Installed VA in my non AC 72 coupe. Very straightforward, GREAT customer service on install help. Routing the ducting to the defroster behind the center inst panel is a real b#tch, but just takes some patience.

Highly recommend it!!

Here's a thread I did when I put it in...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ir-system.html

Old 06-10-2011, 02:40 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

You have to pull the gauge panel,radio,console,right side dash,You can get by with just pulling the drivers side forward a little bit.I also took out the drivers seat.That helped a lot.This thing will freeze you out on high.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
mar
Burning Brakes

I'm considering a 72' vert non-A/C car. This sounds pretty good...

Originally Posted by rugerm44
You have to pull the gauge panel,radio,console,right side dash,You can get by with just pulling the drivers side forward a little bit.I also took out the drivers seat.That helped a lot.This thing will freeze you out on high.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

The worst part of it was the center duct.I bought an original one from an ac car and modified the adapter than came with the kit.The one that comes in the kit sucks.Its just one wide vent mounted in a piece of plastic.It dosent look right to me.It dosent split where it will blow on the driver and pass.It either blows left or right.I put it in myself.That way if I have a problem with it I know how to fix it myself.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:42 PM
mar
Burning Brakes

So the a/c does not vent through the round vent ***** then?
Originally Posted by rugerm44
The worst part of it was the center duct.I bought an original one from an ac car and modified the adapter than came with the kit.The one that comes in the kit sucks.Its just one wide vent mounted in a piece of plastic.It dosent look right to me.It dosent split where it will blow on the driver and pass.It either blows left or right.I put it in myself.That way if I have a problem with it I know how to fix it myself.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Yes it does. It vents through the 2 *****, center vent and the defroster when selected. Check with VA about changes they are supposed to be making to the vent ducts. They are supposed to be incorporating some flat ducts which will make the install a lot easier. I pulled my entire dash and console when I installed mine. That gave me the opportunity to do some rewiring and other clean up. Check this post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-general/2810602-vintage-air-install.html. This will cover just about all the problems you can run into along with VA's response.

BTW the other day in Chicago it was 95 degree, high humidity. I had to run the VA on low to keep from freezing!

Last edited by Raphiki; 06-10-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Just started with my Vintage Air install in my 70. It was an original factory AC car. So far so good. I'll be reading these posts closely. Really glad to get the factory AC out of the engine compartment. With a BB engine, you really need the extra space.

Get notified of new replies

To Impressions of Vintage air install in non-A/C car???

Quick Reply: Impressions of Vintage air install in non-A/C car???