C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1969 Fuel Filter

Folks,

I just replaced the fuel filter in my 69 vette (350/350). After connecting the top fuel line (the one going to the carb), I can't seem to get it to stop leaking. Is there a special technique to this step? Should I use teflon tape on the threads? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks for the advice (in advance),

Jim
Old 07-31-2011, 08:24 PM
JimE
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you find an AC filter GF-432 or an after market?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

We can only assume you have a stock setup. If it did not leak before, then we can assume the 37 degree inverted flare fuel line and fitting is okay, and the only thing that has changed is the new filter. If it is an after market filter, then it is entirely possible that the male flare on the filter outlet does not match the fuel line. If it is a GF-432, then look to make sure both the filter and the flare on the end of the fuel line do not have any ridges, burrs or corrosion. If so, you need to make sure to clean them up with fine wet or dry sandpaper. Make sure the fuel line flare is not cocked on the filter outlet before tightening the nut. It has to be lined up perfectly. Teflon tape on the threads does nothing to prevent fuel leakage. All the fuel should be captured by the inverted flare on the fuel line. No fuel should be anywhere near the threads.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Default 69 Fuel filter

The new fuel filter is an AC-432 I purchased from Ecklers. The set-up is stock. The fuel line from the carb goes in straight, and screws in nicely(nothing stripped). I tightened it as tight as I could, it leaks when the engine is running. I was hoping there was an equalivent to a teflon tape that I could use.

Jim
Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Do yourself a favor and remove the line. Look at the flare under a magnifying glass. Make sure all is well. Look at the filter outlet with a magnifying glass. Something is not right. Last but not least, place the fuel line straight on the filter end first and snug the fitting. Then place it straight into the carb inlet and snug that fitting. Then give both fittings a final snug. They should be tight, but not crazy tight. Forget the tape. Forget silicone. You don't want anything like that ending up in your carb inlet needle and seat.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Default 69 Fuel Filter

Faster Rat,

Thanks for the great ideas. I will disconnect the line from the carb/filter and inspect. I'll plan on re-attaching the line to the filter first (perfectly straight), then to the carb ourlet. Who whould ever think replacing a fuel filter would be so tough?

thanks again for all your help,
Jim
Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Put some grease or anti-sieze between the tubing nut and flare to help you get the tubing nut properly tightened. I always do this with stainless steel brake lines to prevent leaks. One other thought is the flare may be cracked if it is, it's easily repaired with a double flaring tool.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Driftwood
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had exact same problem with mine tonight. I ended up taking it back off, sanding the fuel line flare and the filter seat with a thin scotch brite pad. I just put it back together and no leaks.

I had best luck first attaching fuel line to carb but leave it loose so it can swivel. Then attach fuel line to bottom of fuel filter, hold filter straight with fuel line, and tighten. Then attach fuel line to top of fuel filter and tighten. And then tighten up at carb. Mke sure to use 2 wrenches on filter to get a nice, tight fit.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 AM
jetfromtn
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an ac 432 from Eckler that was a chinese knockoff and when I tightened the top nut it broke off. It looked like it had been glued on. Got my money back and bought 2 on ebay, US made for half the price. It worked fine first time.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Driftwood
Racer

That reminds me-- do you guys have an engine bracket holding your filter? I saw a pic of one somewhere I think in the service manual.

I don't have one and am wondering if I should? Right now my filter is just held in place by the 2 steel gas lines.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Driftwood
That reminds me-- do you guys have an engine bracket holding your filter? I saw a pic of one somewhere I think in the service manual.

I don't have one and am wondering if I should? Right now my filter is just held in place by the 2 steel gas lines.
SB is supposed to have one. Attaches to the A.I.R. pump bracket. Shows in the Assembly Instruction Manual. BB does not. Uses the steel lines to support the filter. Your call.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Driftwood
Racer

OK, that makes sense now. I could see the bracket wouldn't reach the engine block, and my AIR pump is gone. Maybe I'll just live without the bracket like the BBs.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

The 80 something year old guy that rebuilt my carb gave me a small brass washer that had already been flared to match the line...solved all of my leak issues.

Even though my steel line looked fine, it is easier to make the steel seat properly on a brass washer than on another piece of flared steel.

Gary
Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Default 69 Fuel filter- Giving up

Well I tried it all. I took the system apart, took off the fuel line from the top of the filter and the carb. I checked the flares, cleaned them, they looked great (on the line). I re-attached on the filter first (getting best seat possible), then attached at the carb. I started it up, it leaked at the filter. I took off the lines, I loosely put the lines into the filter and carb, seated them, then tightened. I started it up, it leaked at the filter line again. Now I am wondering if the new AC 432 filter from Ecklers is defective. Does anyone know where I can be guarenteed to get a US made filter? (or a neat brass ring I can use),

Jim (frustrated!!!)
Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 PM
jetfromtn
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crazypartsguy on ebay has a gf 432 for $15.00 and I am using one of them.
The following users liked this post:
BlankSlate (04-10-2019)
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Try Paragon. Call them and ask where it is made. Maybe buy a new fuel line from them while you're at it. Your time is valuable too!
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Do you still have the old filter? Ya probably chucked it, huh? If you still have it, try re-installing it, and see if it leaks with the old filter. If it doesn't leak, send the new filter back and ask for a new one. If it leaks with the old filter, you'll know something is wrong with the fuel line or fitting.

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Fuel Filter

Quick Reply: 1969 Fuel Filter