C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossfire engine rebuild recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 PM
mrmmoore
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Crossfire engine rebuild recommendations

I am considering having the 350 crossfire rebuilt this winter and am wondering what some people have done to their Crossfire Corvette engines.

Will the stock computer handle chores if the engine was bumped up to a 355 with a little better cam? I do plan on keeping my own engine and having the work done to it rather then buying a short block. (brother in law will do the work) I also will be keeping the crossfire intake but will be porting it.

My Crossfire is a daily driver and I do take her on some nice drives now and then. The cars engine has been very reliable except for when the harmonic balancer went out.

I also figured I would post this in the C3 section since you guys have a couple more years on us C4 Crossfires.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-11-2011, 12:06 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the engine was running reasonably well when you started the rebuild, why not just leave the CrossFire induction system 'as is'. If you think the throttle bodies need rebuilding, DIY or ship them off to a rebuilder. In answer to one of your questions, the existing ECM can determine what needs to be done with your fuel management, but if you change the system, it will have no way to control any new induction equipment you have. Now, if you are clever enough to adapt the fuel control linkage for the throttle bodies to the new carb/FI hardware, more power to you!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:38 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Might want to talk to these guys: http://crossfireinjection.net/
Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by billla
Might want to talk to these guys: http://crossfireinjection.net/
That is just what I was about to suggest. Those guys are certainly the Crossfire experts.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mark
The problem is the intake designed for torque on a 305.
I suggested a long time ago to try 2 4bl. intake.

Monty a crossfire expert who tried a lot has said he figures the fuel system (not the intake) is good to 300.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:53 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

DCS, the company listed in the link, now makes a new Renegade intake for the Crossfire. The also have cam recommendations, chips, etc, to bump up your power. I would like to partake of their services someday...
Old 08-11-2011, 10:04 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

porting out your intake will help a lot .putting in a better cam will help .rocker arms is a plus .the best thing you can do is a good set of heads.you should put in a new 1985 vette fuel pump .reset fuel pressure regulator to 14psi.check here for the new intake and other partshttp://crossfireinjection.net/and become a member herehttp://www.crossfire.homeip.net/index.php?act=idxyou can find what you need there.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:15 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I had a [new] 1984 with the CrossFire system. I had it up over 135mph at one time {that was enough, actually}, so it's not a total lump of dung. If you are wanting to race the car, I'm not sure why you bought a car with the limitations of the CrossFire induction system. If you just want a reliable car that runs and idles well and has more than enough power for a good peppy ride, the stock CF system is just fine.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 PM
mrmmoore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If the engine was running reasonably well when you started the rebuild, why not just leave the CrossFire induction system 'as is'. If you think the throttle bodies need rebuilding, DIY or ship them off to a rebuilder. In answer to one of your questions, the existing ECM can determine what needs to be done with your fuel management, but if you change the system, it will have no way to control any new induction equipment you have. Now, if you are clever enough to adapt the fuel control linkage for the throttle bodies to the new carb/FI hardware, more power to you!
I do plan on keeping the Crossfire intake and throttle bodies, I know the throttle bodies need bushings. I also figured it wouldn't hurt getting the injectors cleaned and flow matched.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 PM
mrmmoore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CRAIGVETTE
That is just what I was about to suggest. Those guys are certainly the Crossfire experts.

Thanks, lot's of good info there.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 PM
mrmmoore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by terry82
porting out your intake will help a lot .putting in a better cam will help .rocker arms is a plus .the best thing you can do is a good set of heads.you should put in a new 1985 vette fuel pump .reset fuel pressure regulator to 14psi.check here for the new intake and other partshttp://crossfireinjection.net/and become a member herehttp://www.crossfire.homeip.net/index.php?act=idxyou can find what you need there.

The 85 fuel pump was done by the previous owner.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 PM
mrmmoore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I had a [new] 1984 with the CrossFire system. I had it up over 135mph at one time {that was enough, actually}, so it's not a total lump of dung. If you are wanting to race the car, I'm not sure why you bought a car with the limitations of the CrossFire induction system. If you just want a reliable car that runs and idles well and has more than enough power for a good peppy ride, the stock CF system is just fine.
I have no plans on racing the 84, just a cruiser. I was just pondering little upgrades that might make it worth while. I am actually content with the way it runs now and I do plan on keeping the car for a while.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:09 PM
mrmmoore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CRAIGVETTE
DCS, the company listed in the link, now makes a new Renegade intake for the Crossfire. The also have cam recommendations, chips, etc, to bump up your power. I would like to partake of their services someday...
I know of the Renegade. Didn't know of the cams. Thanks..
Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

When I do my crossfire, I'm going for all the torque I can get under 5300rpm. Trying to make a crossfire scream is like snorkelling with a straw.
Some alum. with a small chamber for compression and a mild cam will work well
Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i doubt it will make any power at 5300 r.p.m the heads and intake have rediculous ports that wont support the power. how labour swapping to a t.p.i?

Get notified of new replies

To Crossfire engine rebuild recommendations

Quick Reply: Crossfire engine rebuild recommendations