C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel is not getting to carb.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel is not getting to carb.

Hi, I got the points set, new filters, ect, engine will run if I pour starter fluid down carb. I removed the fuel line from carb and no fuel came out when I turn over the engine. Yesterday I installed a clear fuel filter inline of the tank and fuel pump. When I installed the fuel filter yesterday a few drips of fuel came out of line but then it stopped dripping. After I started engine the clear fuel filter filled full with fuel. Does this mean the fuel line is clogged?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not sure I understand your post, but your float could be stuck in the closed position.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:25 AM
ClassicG
Advanced

But if the float was stuck wouldnt there be fuel shooting put of steel line at carb? I think its the fuel pump but its strange that the fuel filter filled up.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

the fuel should be comming out in gobs while cranking.. anything less then there is a fuel system issue. clogged line, tank pickup, fuel pump, kinked rubber line....
Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 AM
njfl
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicG
Hi, I got the points set, new filters, ect, engine will run if I pour starter fluid down carb. I removed the fuel line from carb and no fuel came out when I turn over the engine. Yesterday I installed a clear fuel filter inline of the tank and fuel pump. When I installed the fuel filter yesterday a few drips of fuel came out of line but then it stopped dripping. After I started engine the clear fuel filter filled full with fuel. Does this mean the fuel line is clogged?
When was it last running? Was this sitting for a while?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
ClassicG
Advanced

It was running when I bought it. It has not been driven for 20 years though. The guy couldnt drive it since its brakes currently dont work.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

"Yesterday I installed a clear fuel filter inline of the tank and fuel pump" Are you saying you installed a fuel filter before the pump? Any additional filter, other than the one in the carburetor inlet, should be between the pump and carburetor. Try disconnecting the line going into the pump, remove the gas cap, assuming your tank is close to full, the gas should freely run out. If it does you have a clear line and a bad pump, if it doesnt you have a blocked line.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM
njfl
Pro

It was running when I bought it. It has not been driven for 20 years though. The guy couldnt drive it since its brakes currently dont work.
So it was running on its own prior to you changing out the things? If so, then you likely installed something incorrectly. Did you use teflon tape on any fittings and got the tape blocking a line?

If not. The post above (removing line to pump to see if fuel flows) is an excellent simple troubleshooting step.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:23 PM
njfl
Pro

Also, I know it's crazy and would be a coincidence, but take off your fuel cap and see if you have any fuel in the tank (you mentioned that you only got a little when you installed the inline filter).

Make sure that the cap is vented too. Better yet, try starting the car with the cap off.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:09 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

Interesting, so its possible that air is trapped in the lines, and with the cap on the air is stuck in the lines? Sounds possible, I'll try it and see.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 PM
atikovi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the fuel line off the carb, use a funnel and some hose to pour fuel into the carb. This should let the engine run 30 seconds or so. Put the end of the fuel line into a clear jar. Start up the engine. Hopefully it can purge the line like slow cranking won't plus you can see if anything is contaminating the fuel.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

Thanks guys! I pulled the gas cap, then flooded the carb and went into a smooth idle. After a minute I checked fuel line at the carb and it was wet with fuel. I cant idle it too long since its in my garage backwards and the fumes are pretty bad. Ill be able to idle it this weekend to know for sure the fuelpump came back to life.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 AM
njfl
Pro

Thanks guys! I pulled the gas cap, then flooded the carb and went into a smooth idle. After a minute I checked fuel line at the carb and it was wet with fuel. I cant idle it too long since its in my garage backwards and the fumes are pretty bad. Ill be able to idle it this weekend to know for sure the fuelpump came back to life.
Keep the cap off when you run it. It is possible that the venting mechanism on the cap is not working (clogged) or someone replaced the cap with an incorrect one.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 PM
pauliep103
Intermediate

Can someone help Hi I have a 1982 C3 Corvette I have no fuel going to the carbs there was no power going to the fuel pump I replaced fuel pump and the relay what are the testing options to get this car started where should I start!!! Or should I install a machanic pump car is driving me nuts I drove the car 2 days in a row it shut off at a stop sign then it started fan ran for a couple of blocks then shut off again and never started again
Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Old Thread

As this thread is now 6 years old I'm hoping you solved your problem by now.

Last edited by 71VetteLover; 09-26-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:58 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pauliep103
Can someone help me? I have an 1982 Corvette I have no fuel going to the carbs there was no power going to the fuel pump I replaced fuel pump and the relay what are the testing options to get this car started where should I start!!! Or should I install a mechanical pump? This car is driving me nuts. I drove the car 2 days in a row it shut off at a stop sign then it started fan ran for a couple of blocks then shut off again and never started again

You need to start a new thread so more people will read your post. Your ECM will only power your fuel pump if there is oil pressure present so you might have a bad connection at your oil pump sender (about 3" to the left of your HEI) and your ECM is assuming you don't have oil pressure. Take the plug off and spray some WD-40 into it then plug it back on and off and on and off and on several times.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:23 PM
pauliep103
Intermediate

Ye I know I’m new to this thread stuff !
Couple people telling me it can be the oil pressure switch I’m going to switch that out an see what happens.how do you start a thread

Get notified of new replies

To fuel is not getting to carb.

Quick Reply: fuel is not getting to carb.