C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Machine shop recommendation, south central Massachusetts

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 05:13 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Machine shop recommendation, south central Massachusetts

Hi, all,
I live in Oxford, MA, it's a sleepy little town down near where Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts all meet. I am planning to rebuild the engine in my '80 'vette, and I would like to know if anybody could recommend a machine shop that does good work, charges a fair price, isn't halfway across the state, and is willing to work with a home re-builder on a budget. Thanks,

Scott
Old 11-26-2011, 09:30 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could try Coughlin Machine in Norwood. They primarily work on racing boats but engine work is the same no matter where it ends up. I had them resurface my flywheel and they did a good job for a reasonable price. They had a couple of 800 HP blown engines sitting in the shop that looked sweet.

I have some names for other shops but I have no experience with any of them.

Rick b.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Norwood, huh? It's kind of a drive, but it's not ridiculously far away. I was hoping to hear about something a little closer, tho. Thanks for the info, tho, I'll keep them in mind if they don't mind working with a home re-builder.

Scott
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

There is Mike's Motor Service
Phone: (508) 478-5822

in Mendon, Ma.

My friend used him to rebuild his 350 a year ago for his body off restoration. He hasnt started it yet so I cant say how he did. It's a small operation. I used him years ago on my daughters car for a head gasket. His name comes up when people around here (northern RI)talk about an engine builder so if you hear his name again you might want to check him out.

Might want to contact some car clubs out there for a referral.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 AM
78pace
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could try Paul's Machine in Southbridge. My son had work done to his LT-1 a fews years back everything went fine...... I do beleive he is still there. He is just behind Friendlys on Main St. 508-765-9501.......he does have a website

Last edited by 78pace; 11-27-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:30 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by karol
There is Mike's Motor Service
Phone: (508) 478-5822

in Mendon, Ma.

My friend used him to rebuild his 350 a year ago for his body off restoration. He hasnt started it yet so I cant say how he did. It's a small operation. I used him years ago on my daughters car for a head gasket. His name comes up when people around here (northern RI)talk about an engine builder so if you hear his name again you might want to check him out.

Might want to contact some car clubs out there for a referral.
Mendon is a little closer than Norwood, that's a little more like it. Thanks, man.

Scott
Old 11-27-2011, 03:31 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 78pace
You could try Paul's Machine in Southbridge. My son had work done to his LT-1 a fews years back everything went fine...... I do beleive he is still there. He is just behind Friendlys on Main St. 508-765-9501.......he does have a website
I stumbled across his website yesterday, looks promising, and pretty close to home, too. Thanks, man.

Scott
Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Be careful with racing shops, specifically in that if they're building racing engines something making less than 1.4 HP/CID may be outside of their experience....so a bunch of machine work gets done and parts get selected that's not needed at the target power level

Might also want to cross-post in the regional board if you haven't already
Old 11-27-2011, 04:34 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by billla
Be careful with racing shops, specifically in that if they're building racing engines something making less than 1.4 HP/CID may be outside of their experience....so a bunch of machine work gets done and parts get selected that's not needed at the target power level

Might also want to cross-post in the regional board if you haven't already
I have read alot of the back-and-forth between you and people like blockman, so I know what you mean by this. Obviously, you can't tell what machining ops a block and crank will need till it's been torn down and inspected, but I think what I will be looking for is just a .030" bore and hone, (if it needs it, over 70,000 miles, so probably will) and possibly a very light cut on the deck, just to clean it up for a .015" shim headgasket. If it needs anything past that, it might be better to look at other options, depending on how much machining will cost. If you remember me, Bill, I think I will be abandoning my plans to do a top end upgrade. I think I hear the very beginning of a rod knock toward the front of the engine, so I guess it's gonna have to come out and be done right.

Scott
Old 11-27-2011, 05:32 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Of course I remember you. Sorry to hear you'll have to pull the engine; I would encourage you to check for an exhaust leak - many "rod knocks" have come back to a simple gasket

Remember that it's not just machine operations, but parts selection as well. As an example, if you're told you need an all-forged rotating ***'y to make 350 HP...then you're at the wrong shop
Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by billla
Of course I remember you. Sorry to hear you'll have to pull the engine; I would encourage you to check for an exhaust leak - many "rod knocks" have come back to a simple gasket

Remember that it's not just machine operations, but parts selection as well. As an example, if you're told you need an all-forged rotating ***'y to make 350 HP...then you're at the wrong shop
I am thinking that if I can get away with minimal machining, it might be cost effective to use a kit like this:

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...uctModelId=380

It's pretty basic, but if the proper upgrades are chosen, you can end up with a pretty decent package for very little coin.

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Machine shop recommendation, south central Massachusetts

Quick Reply: Machine shop recommendation, south central Massachusetts