C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 200r4 purchased looking for some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Dante7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 200r4 purchased looking for some help

Found what is supposed to be a Bowtie Overdrive 200R4 Level 2 transmission with less then 2000 miles on it on craigslist yesterday with a 2400 stall converter. I ended up purchasing the transmission for $500 with the TV kit also included. Seems like a good deal if everything is legit the guy seemed to be honest but it is hard to always tell. My question now is what do you all recommend checking before installing the transmission into the car? It appears to be in great shape and the seals and shafts on both ends appear to be in good shape. The fluid that is in it seems to smell just like any other trans fluid with a pretty normal color. Should I pull the pan and see if it looks good and throw a new filter in it?

The trans is going into a 75 corvette that has the orginal TH400 in it from searching the forum it should be a direct bolt in except for getting a TH350 yolk. Also the information on the crossmember/trans mount seems to be misleading and confusing. The stock cross member should bolt right to the stock trans mount and tranny for the 200 correct?

Does anyone have some pictures of this tranny under the car? I am looking for views of the shift linkage and so fourth Just to make sure I am getting it together right when I do it.

What cooling lines does everyone use? The ones from bowtie overdrive seem expensive would a braided stainless hose work for should I use hard lines all the way?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:06 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont have any first hand experience doing this. I would like to request that you keep this thread updated with pic's and tech. of your own, if possible. Its an upgrade that I'm planning on doing also. I have read also that its a direct bolt in . Many thanks, bob
Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say you did really good for $500 buck's. Good idea, pulling the pan, changing the fluid and filter. After a rebuild, could be lots clutch pack powder plugging the filter, so cheap insurance. Stick with a name brand filter, no matter what you do. Sounds like your tranny has strengthened internals, with a shift kit. Good finding this out for sure though, before bolting it on. Trans-Go od shift kits, aren't exactly a picnic to install.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Dante7
Racer

I will do my best to take pictures planning on trying to start it here this week when some parts arrive from summit. I am just confused on how to do the linkage for the shifter and of I use a stock trans mount or what onto my stock crossmember
Old 03-19-2012, 07:01 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...=200r4+install
this thread not only has good info , but one of the members is willing to give advice whos done it several times, hope this helps.
BTW there are 8 pages of tech on this, probably find all you need.

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 03-19-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

My '72 was a small block muncie car, and so the cross member was modified extensively over the years, and the 200 tranny sets right on the cross support, on MY car I had to oval out the holes as the fore/aft did not line up by about 1/2 inch or so....keep the same lateral because of drive shaft yoke on the bodywork.....

the shifter will work fine if you have a automatic now, just need modify it to hook up on the pan flange, and maybe the shift lever on the tranny itself...

you have to be aware of the throttle/kickdown cable and do that install correctly, much less the lockup wiring for the converter....and when you drop the pan, what to do to affect a reliable 4th gear lockup on the tranny without external actuation....

email/PM me if questions, I can send some info, if needed....but I have to search for it these days....

Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

excellent info, many thanks, bob
Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Dante7

Does anyone have some pictures of this tranny under the car? I am looking for views of the shift linkage and so fourth Just to make sure I am getting it together right when I do it.

What cooling lines does everyone use? The ones from bowtie overdrive seem expensive would a braided stainless hose work for should I use hard lines all the way?
I just finished doing this conversion in my 73. Having done it before it didn't take too long this time around but there are always a few things that take a longer than expected. My digital camera is dead so can't take pics right now but will help wherever I can.

As for the coolng lines, I just used the stock ones with a little rebending for now. I will run AN lines to a new cooler eventually.

As Gene said, the shifter is pretty easy. I had to drill one hole in the TH400 bracket that mounts to the pan bolts to reposition it. I haven't done the steering lock bracket yet as mine is locked open for now.

Last edited by CA-Legal-Vette; 03-19-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Dante7
Racer

Wow guys thanks for the info so far it's more then I expected and pictures of shift linkage would be amazing!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:01 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

On the crossmember,why not just go with Bowtie's Crossmember for the 200r4.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:59 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

according to mrvette, just needs to oval the mounting holes
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
according to mrvette, just needs to oval the mounting holes
I had to lengthen the slot in my Bowtie crossmember too. Few things on these cars seem to be bolt on
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Dante7
Racer

Well I don't have an enormous budget and why change the crossmember if you don't have too?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

amen
Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I'm crossing my fingers for you. I get 'nervous' when someone up's and sells a relatively new overdrive auto tranny. One has to ask "Why?" when they had just purchased it. Did the seller have a good story for that question? I'm sure he did.

The #1 reason for 'early' [modern] auto trans failures is the improper setting of the TV cable. If the cable doesn't get set up properly, the apply pressures in the clutches can be way low under WOT operation. Result? Fried clutches.

So, check the condition of the oil in the tranny (if there is any...probably not for shipping). Smell any odors coming from the fill tube. If it smells burnt?

Like I said....I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you got a good unit. Good luck with it.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Dante7
Racer

Trust me your fear is the same as mine but I was planning on buying the setup from Bowtie myself so even if I have to get some new clutches put in I will still be cheaper then the cost of having one sent to wv from Cali
Old 03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I'm crossing my fingers for you. I get 'nervous' when someone up's and sells a relatively new overdrive auto tranny. One has to ask "Why?" when they had just purchased it. Did the seller have a good story for that question? I'm sure he did.

The #1 reason for 'early' [modern] auto trans failures is the improper setting of the TV cable. If the cable doesn't get set up properly, the apply pressures in the clutches can be way low under WOT operation. Result? Fried clutches.

So, check the condition of the oil in the tranny (if there is any...probably not for shipping). Smell any odors coming from the fill tube. If it smells burnt?

Like I said....I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you got a good unit. Good luck with it.
excellent tech, many thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Used 200r4 purchased looking for some help

Old 03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I converted to a 700R4, but the 200-4R would have been much easier.

The 200 will mount up to the crossmember and you won't have to cut/change the driveshaft...except for the yoke, as you mentioned.

Things that DO have to be changed: 1) cut or remove exhaust pipes to get at the installation (not absolutely necessary, but it makes the job much easier; 2) purchase or modify the brackets for shift cable and lock cable because of bolt pattern changes; these must position the cable end relative to the shift linkage so that all works properly; 3) install TV cable and hookup hardware on your carb--this is the most difficult AND most important item to deal with--you need to fully understand how this cable works and how to set it up; 4) modify oil filler tube or buy a new 'generic' one; can be more trouble that it appears to get the tube to end at the right place AND have a dipstick that reads correctly; 5) modify shifter detent plate (or buy a different one) for the shifter in the car; this allows the full use of all gears, including locking it in LOW gear; 6) installing new heat shield above the tranny to minimize tunnel heat; 7) [OFTEN OVERLOOKED] change the speedo gears to those needed for correct speed operation BEFORE you install the unit in the car; 8) make sure the governor in the tranny is the one you need for proper WOT shift timing.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

this thread is excellent
Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

I replaced my TH400 with a Bowtie lev 2 trans in 2003. It has been a great mod. I did not have to do anything to my crossmemeber, the trans lined right up. I did add a B&M controller a couple years later and really like the way it works.

Quick Reply: Used 200r4 purchased looking for some help