C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Lens LED Red Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clear Lens LED Red Tail Lights

As some commented, it became evident the blacked out red built in LED tail lights were difficult to see during the with sun out in full force. So in order to keep with not having red colored lens but wanting surely bright red lights I ordered 4 built in LED reverse light assemblies with the larger than stock clear plastic center lens. Cut out the white LED reverse lights that were glued like crazy into the housing and installed the brightest single beam directional red LED bulb on the market that would shine through the clear plastic part of the lens. Spoke to the guys at Super Bright LED's and they said the 68-R2W produces the brightest focused beam of red light available. Others are brighter overall with LED's on the side of the bulb are designed for tail light lens that wrap around the bulb where the bulb protrudes into the tail light housing. In our vettes the lens does not wrap around the bulb, but shines directly through in a single focused direction and is why they recommended the bulb without LED's on the side. Unless the dull grey housing that holds the bulb polished to reflect the LED's on the side of the bulb then its not really doing much good....seems fair enough believable what they are telling me.

Here is the link to the bulbs 68-R2W
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html

Here are before & after pics & video. The red brake lights actually were hurting my eyes they are so bright now. Still was able to keep with the theme of the car keeping everything black and one shade or another of silver/chrome/grey

Videos

Now if somebody ever makes halo C3 tail lights I will be the first in line. The entire housing that holds the bulb would have to be reworked to create the depth needed to create a nice smooth even red circle. Was not really a fan of the 17 individual red LED's and like the smooth beam of light.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

The new lights look so much better, it would be my luck that I'd hit the brakes and a local PD officer would haul me over and try to charge me with blinding him. I have never been a fan of the current LED C3 tail lights as they look like they are more fitted for a christmas tree with the individual lights showing. I agree with you on the smooth look - once again great job and info for us.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Tangelo79
Instructor

Looks great thanks for the info! I have been wanting to convert my lighting to LED, do you have LED for your side markers and front turn also?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Thanks for the compliments.

I went and looked at them this morning in daylight and damn they are bright.

No LED's anywhere else...yet. I will be doing the front yellow turn signal shortly. Not sure if I will do the side markers but I do get bored when I am not turning the wrench so I am sure they will eventually come up on my to do list also.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice touch and well executed.

Riggs
Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 AM
ChaosPhoenixFix
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is exactly what I want to do with my 79. I have a couple questions though. How were you able to get the lights to blink like the newer mustang lights? Where one lights up on the inside, then the outter one lights up a half second later? Also, where are your reverse lights? Do you just not have them now? And were you able to find a good price on the reverse light assemblies? Curious to know where you got them and the price. Ultimately, I would like to go all clear/smoked lenses on my Vette with LED lights. With fixed head lights with HID bulbs.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Hadez
Drifting

The sequential tail lights are done via a completely computer controlled wiring harness system called "ISIS power". The C6 guys have an aftermarket harness adapter that will do the same thing that you can easily adapt to the C3 vettes by cutting & splicing the adapter.

I don't have reverse lights yet, but working on it. I most likely will have custom mold of 2 LED reverse lights inserted into the lower rear valence when I have some paint work redone back there that needs attention.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The lights look nice and bright!! Those should help keep someone from running into you. Are those the correct lenses for your year car? They have a bigger center than my 70 than I remember. Also, looking at the superbrightled webpage, which set of bulbs did you get?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Hadez
Drifting

Here is the link to the bulbs 68-R2W

The aftermarket LED reverse light have a clear center that is slightly larger than stock. These are the 69 reverse lights with the red part blacked out leaving the clear center exposed with a red LED light behind the lense.

They are very bright indeed.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:10 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

This is very cool. I've been looking to do something like this. Kaos, do you happen to have a picture with the lens off? I am wondering if a mirror of some sort in front of the bulb could reflect enough light to allow using the existing all red lens. Maybe get the housing chromed to help?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Hadez
Drifting

sorry...no pics of the lights off. They are the reverse LED's that you can buy with the LED part cut out so I can reuse the regular bulb socket allowing the red LED light bulb to shine through the center clear part.

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Lens LED Red Tail Lights

Quick Reply: Clear Lens LED Red Tail Lights