C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler $ Creep-I Have to Laugh

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Muffler $ Creep-I Have to Laugh

So I had my time with Midas today. The plan was to get one front exhaust pipe replaced with a new one from Corvette Central (CC) and a pair of the tuck-away mufflers rather than those huge round mufflers on my 1974. The driver’s side exhaust pipe did not have a sleeve at the top to protect the donut gasket and I kept blowing them last summer. I posted on this at that time. The 1974 L-48 system (each side) uses a 2" front exhaust pipe, an intermediate or secondary exhaust pipe, and then the muffler. The old pipes were carbon steel (not aluminized) and of course are very rusty in appearance although still solid. Each side was one-piece: welded from stem to stern. Things had to be cut off with a Sawzall.

Since the exhaust pipes come in pairs I decided to have them both replaced. Well........passenger side exhaust manifold studs were finished (driver's side are new). I had a set and those were replaced. Love to see muffler experts get the right shade of red and take them out. I admire experience. Of course, the heat riser valve was cracked. I did not have one but strangely they had one in the back. (I learned that they do a lot of custom exhaust work on classic cars and keep a limited stock of old parts. I did not know that.) Then the old carbon steel intermediate pipes did not fit with the new front pipes and the tuck-away mufflers. OK, now we are into bending/shaping raw 2” tubing stock. And it was done very nicely.

So I ended up with a completely new aluminized system. Not my original intent but not necessarily a bad thing. Carbon rusty steel is gone. One of the rear tips is a little off center/vertical but they said to drive it for a week or so to let things settle in. (The muffler sits correctly but I guess CC botched the welding position of the tip.) Then they will cut it and adjust/weld for no extra charge. All of this cost me $700.00. The Corvette Central mufflers (OEM-style) are a little louder than what I had before but not annoying. In fact it sounds very much like a Magnaflow.

Interesting day. You never know what to expect with these cars!

It's a bit like my new blue-printed steering box. At 99,000 miles things happen. But I must say that people who know exhaust systems know exhaust systems. Twisting, bending, cutting, clamping, welding a 2" pipe into the exact configuration is an art. I admire old school competence.

Tomorrow I hit the road to "burn in" the new parts. Love these old cars. My 90% 1974 is now edging to 92% .

BTW, Midas took pics of my car for their web site.

You can see the big round OEM mufflers in this pic hanging down and giving me annoyance episodes. Those are now gone with the tuck-aways.

Last edited by Paul L; 07-11-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All in all, good day. Beautiful car.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Richard Cooper
All in all, good day. Beautiful car.
Yes Richard, the steering and exhaust systems will be good for another 10 years. When I sell this car the new owner will get technical solidarity. And that is important to me. I do not sell junk.

I admired the old school fellow at Midas today right from the beginning. He checked the frame out in the parking lot before he would put it on a hoist. In my time, I have seen those hoist pads go up through the frame while the car does not move. I knew what he was doing but did not say a word. My frame is very solid and I know that. Afterwards I said a few words of appreciation to him for taking the time to do the job properly. I sensed he knew I was not a Corvette neophyte. And of course I am not. Nor was he.

Last edited by Paul L; 07-11-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I don't know why GM wanted the "old" mufflers to be seen. Our cars look so much cleaner with the tucked up mufflers. Your car still has me doing double takes every time I see it. It's a very beautiful car!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by daanbc
I don't know why GM wanted the "old" mufflers to be seen. Our cars look so much cleaner with the tucked up mufflers. Your car still has me doing double takes every time I see it. It's a very beautiful car!
Thanks. I am very happy with the outcome. My younger Brother with his 1979 and I are hitting the road tomorrow for about 120 miles. That should "break-in" the new exhaust system. I don't have a pic but the mufflers are done in BBQ paint black. They are basically now invisible from the back and side of the car. Am I **** about looks? Yes.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:06 AM
stacka
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say $700 well spent the experts make it look so easy. I hate doing exhaust work, I say let the experts do it.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:13 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Great to hear you found a good exhaust guy(less and less of them every year) at one of the big chains,I was expecting to hear a horror story when I opened this thread.I have had the same mufflers(and the rest of the CC system) for a few years now on my stock L48,at first I thought they were way too quiet but as time went on,learned to appreciate them more,so does everyone else within earshot.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 AM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks awesome Paul!

I had my magnaflows tucked in tight when I redid my exhaust. The car looks cleaner that way. Disregard the 2004 date. It was done in April of 2012.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I've just come back from a 100-mile drive. The new exhaust system is A-OK. Not too quiet and not too loud. In other words just right for me.

Here is a pic of the factory-style round muffler. Hideous. Why GM did this?? I got so tired of looking at this I went with Corvette Central's free shipping offer last April.

And here is a pic of the new CC "Hideaway" style. The angle on the tip needs adjustment and that will be done shortly.

Last edited by Paul L; 07-12-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Paul,
As usual... an interesting post from you about life with an 'old' car in this current world!
The people with the skill to do more than unplug or remove the old part, and then just put the new part in place, are becoming very rare.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Paul,
As usual... an interesting post from you about life with an 'old' car in this current world!
The people with the skill to do more than unplug or remove the old part, and then just put the new part in place, are becoming very rare.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan. I swear this fellow could just look at a length of pipe and the needed bends/degrees/angles and just do it. Yes, there were test fits but he was remarkable.

Yes, I am still driving. As noted above about 100 miles this morning before the heat set in. It is 92*F now and the car is parked.

My 1974 will be "new" shortly. The odometer shows 99,936 miles. The next time out it should show 00,000 miles. But you know, so much is new on the car I really don't think 100,000 miles has any particular significance. The "driven" ones seem to be healthier than the 1,500 mile 1978 Pace cars.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul
As said above, every time I see pics of your car, I have to do a double take!

Looks great. Nice to know when you have done money well spent.

B.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by paul 74
The "driven" ones seem to be healthier than the 1,500 mile 1978 Pace cars.
That's very true. Nice upgrades Paul!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:08 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a pic of the factory-style round muffler. Hideous. Why GM did this??
GM was ahead of the times! Fartcan mufflers are meant to be noticed. Have a look here: http://www.turbospoke.com/products-t...hat-is-it.aspx
Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
GM was ahead of the times! Fartcan mufflers are meant to be noticed. Have a look here: http://www.turbospoke.com/products-t...hat-is-it.aspx
OK, how about 50 extra HP from a coffee can....

http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/mycoffeecan/page1.html
Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

OK, how about 50 extra HP from a coffee can....

http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/mycoffeecan/page1.html
Well, not only is that the ugliest thing I've ever seen for exhaust work, but he painted it bright so everyone could admire it.

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler $ Creep-I Have to Laugh

Quick Reply: Muffler $ Creep-I Have to Laugh