C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any paint that will stay on headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 10:03 PM
GROSSPOLLUTER60
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any paint that will stay on headers?

For more than two days :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

gp :D
Old 05-29-2002, 10:11 PM
techrondon
Instructor

Default Re: Is there any paint that will stay on headers? (GROSSPOLLUTER60)

i would also like to know the answer to that one..
i use BBQ black every couple of weeks,,,......
Old 05-29-2002, 10:15 PM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep I found one, I got it from the boiler parts supplier I deal with but also available through Graingers. It's Rustoleum brand high temp industrial coating, one step above the stuff they market as BBQ paint. Part number V2176, it's nasty stuff use outdoors or with full respirator. It goes on thick with a brownish tint, dries flat black. Put in on bare clean metal cures dry in 48 hours but real cure after 400 degrees is reached. So far so good just the areas I didn't prep right I have some peeling.
Hope that helps.
Scott
Old 05-29-2002, 10:24 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Crap.

I just sand blasted my headers, sanded them, and then painted them with a high heat cerama coat-whatever. Then I shot a MAP gas torch through each to try to simulate the heat. The paint cures better with heat.

I won't know until I get them on the engine if it worked.

But from the other comments, it probably won't.

:cry
Old 05-29-2002, 10:38 PM
Scott78
Drifting

Default Re: Is there any paint that will stay on headers? (joeveto)

This stuff is as near bulletproof as any paint I've dealt with in an industrial setting aside from the 2 part epoxy varieties.
contents: Toulene, Solvent Naptha, Xylene, Magnesium silicate, Ethylbenzene, Alklyd resin and Black Iron Oxide. I kid you not, I'm around toulene and napthas all day if you use this protect yourself.
Scott
Old 05-29-2002, 10:39 PM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 163 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

Powder coating is probably the best bet, but mucho expensive
Old 05-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Is there any paint that will stay on headers? (Scott78)

This stuff is as near bulletproof as any paint I've dealt with in an industrial setting aside from the 2 part epoxy varieties.
contents: Toulene, Solvent Naptha, Xylene, Magnesium silicate, Ethylbenzene, Alklyd resin and Black Iron Oxide. I kid you not, I'm around toulene and napthas all day if you use this protect yourself.
Scott
YEP.... used it at work myself on 300hp compressor heads to make em look pretty. Your right... NASTY!!!!! I WORE A FULL FACE BREATHER. I never thought of using it on headers though... thanks for the idea!
Eddie :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 05-30-2002, 01:46 AM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Is there any paint that will stay on headers? (Silvr77)

Personally I think Jet Hot is the way to go. The shine is unreal.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:57 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Is there any paint that will stay on headers? (Merlin522)

I have mine Jet Hot coated. It is not cheap but they are still looking great after 5 years and many oil spills and many dings and removals.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:08 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Is there any paint that will stay on headers? (Merlin522)

Here is my take on it, any paint will come off if the headers get too hot. I painted my headers with high heat header paint when I had the stock motor in my car and the paint stayed on fine.

I next had the motor rebuilt and repainted the headers with the same paint at that time. This time it bubbled and flaked off. I tri
ed it again and this time I started the car up for only a couple of of seconds shut it down and repeated this for a hour. I then left it till the next day, went out started it up and paint bublbled and flaked of again.

Next I put the new Sportsman II heads on which rasied my compression level to 10:1 and installed 1.6 : 1 rockers which increased my vavle lift over .500 . I repainted the headers again at this time but I expected the paint to flake off again anyway. Well to my suprise it didn't and has stayed on and looks good.

The only explanation for this is that different motor configurations will give you different exhuast tempertatures and you can only paint the headers and hope your configuration works.

One more note : A lot of people think that a lean condidtion causes this probelm, that may not be the case as it could very well be too rich and the unburnt gases are burning down the header pipe s.

Two more note: The same thing will happen with Ceramic or Jet Hot coated headers !

[Modified by MotorHead, 8:10 AM 5/30/2002]

[Modified by MotorHead, 11:13 AM 5/30/2002]
Old 05-30-2002, 10:55 AM
kgraumann
Racer

Default Re: Is there any paint that will stay on headers? (Markm10431)

Powder coating is probably the best bet, but mucho expensive

Ceramic/Power Coating is the only way to go. Not cheap, but it is the right way. :yesnod:
Old 05-30-2002, 12:43 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree that Jet Hot or other ceramic coating is probably best. However, it is spendy. I found a paint that has stayed on my stock tubular exhaust manifolds (basically, they're headers without the performance advantage! :rolleyes: ) for over 6 years and something like 30K miles. It's called "Hot Paint" (duh!) and it's made by PlastiKote, if I remember right. It is a lot like powder coating in a spray can. After you spray it on, you MUST bake it, or it will simply rub off in a powder form. My tubular exhausts were small enough to fit in the kitchen oven, so baking was easy. Headers are probably too big. However, you can heat-cure them on the car, by running the engine. It will be tricky to get them painted and installed without messing up the uncured paint, tho... Or you could build a temporary oven out of some concrete block and a gas torch or charcoal...

Get notified of new replies

To Is there any paint that will stay on headers?

Quick Reply: Is there any paint that will stay on headers?