C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiper motor, voltage on 123 connector (68 early)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Lucky68
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper motor, voltage on 123 connector (68 early)

I was hoping someone could help me out before i start ordering a bunch of parts i don't need.

With a little help from Willcox's guide for the 68, i've made sure that i have a ground on the override bracket, and on the bezel (top half that is broken off).

I'm trying to find out why i have some sort of short when i plug in (my new) wiper motor, and turn it on. I turn it on and i get smoke.

From Willcox's connection test, i tested the 123 connector and with the

key on:
1 0 volts
2 11.6 volts
3 11.6 volts

with wiper on High:
1 0.25 volts (should be 10.3)
2 11.6 volts
3 155 millivolts

Low:
1 0 volts (should be 1.4)
2 11.6 volts
3 0.08 - .04 volts (or should i measure millivolts?) (should be .3 volts or millivolts?)

According to the schematic, the light green goes to the Wiper Relay. I'm not sure how to 'test' if the relay is ok, but it does click when i turn the wipers on. i also 'cleaned the contacts inside and outside where the connectors go but did not take apart the connectors to clean them. I did verify a ground on the B/W wire ('top' of the three connector).

Also the light blue from the 123 goes to the switch, then back to the relay. is it safe to say i need a relay or is there a bunch of other things i should be checking?

also FYI i have none of the parts for the limit switch in the car, and long ago someone soldered the leads of the harness that should go to the limit switch together (wiper door is opened manually by switching hoses on the actuator...) I bought a couple random parts already but will be buying the rest when i order the relay or anything else i need.

i did not check the solenoid on the back of the tach, should i do that and what do i do? also i asked in another thread, but which position, CW all the way or CCW all the way, is the override switch in the 'non' override position?

If you've read this far, thanks, any help would be appreciated. And thanks to willcox, an order will be coming your way when i know what else i need.

Brad
Old 08-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Lucky68
Intermediate

?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 AM
tomgallucci57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the smoke problem once also,,then i found that the wire going to the wiper override switch was disconnected.after plugging it back in,,the smoking wiper motor problem went away. good luck,,tom
Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Lucky68
Intermediate

Thanks, i know that is plugged in as i've had it off. I guess i should buy all the parts i'm missing and get it all hooked up right, then chase it down...

Get notified of new replies

To wiper motor, voltage on 123 connector (68 early)

Quick Reply: wiper motor, voltage on 123 connector (68 early)