C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Question - upper vents

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Teem66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC Question - upper vents

My 80 Corvette's air condition is empty (no gas). I can get the compressor to turn by jumping the pressure switch. But I can't get air to blow out of the upper vents when the console switch is on cool or max cool. I've checked the vacuum lines under the switch and the all hold a vacuum. Does the vacuum supply to the door that directs air to the upper vents rely on the pressure switch somehow (having a full system)? I've looked at the wiring diagram and vacuum hose layout diagram and can't determine why the door isn't closing.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

No, the refrigerant gas has nothing to do with the operation of the duct doors.
They are all controlled by vacuum from the vac switch in the console. If you do not have a broken/cracked vac line from the firewall to the switch it may be the switch itself, or one of the operati=ors. You will need to pull the switch and check it out, then test each of the components one at a time.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:04 PM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The small plastic tubes for a/c vacuum get brittle and crack. Blowing cigarette smoke into one will show up leaks perfectly.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Teem66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It was the switch. Got a new one and installed it. I didn't remove the console, just the side carpet pieces. Pretty easy fix. Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Question - upper vents

Quick Reply: AC Question - upper vents