C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backfiring through carb

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 AM
bjenki7
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfiring through carb

I have a 1977 vette that I inherited from my uncle. It had been sitting for several years, but I have been working on it, and I have gotten it up and running. It cranks right up and idles fine, but once I press down on the gas it backfires through the carb. Once I put it in gear and go down the road, it will drive fine until I try to accelerate, and then it will backfire through the carb again. It doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold.

I think that the problem started with my uncle when he did a carb and intake swap on the car. He installed an Edelbrock carb and intake. Is this a timing/fuel issue?? I would appreciate any help. This is driving me crazy!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Look for an ignition problem first. Sounds like some cross-firing. Check for cracked distributor cap, moisture inside the cap, bad plug wires, etc.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Before doing any carb work, make sure you check the timing and ignition system. As I state in my tuning seminars, "90% of all carb problems are ignition problems." Get a timing light and set it up per my "How to Set Timing" paper with 36 degrees total advance and initial timing in the 8 - 18 degree range to produce the 36 total. Make sure vacuum advance is hooked up and operational, and make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Make sure wires, cap and rotor are in good shape and that the plugs are fresh.

Once timing/ignition is set and verified, the only thing that will cause backfire up through the carb is a lean condition. This will be noticable on acceleration, when a rich mixture is required. If you're popping up through the carb after you've verified the ignition is good, richen up the carb. You'd be much better off getting a correct Q-Jet for the car than to run that old Carter AFB on there...

Lars
The following users liked this post:
327_Stingray (10-20-2017)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 AM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I would check the accelerator pump shot. A lean condition can cause a backfire and you are getting the back fireupon initial acceleration.

If the pump is functioning, it may be that the amount of fuel delivered is not enough.

EDIT - what he said ^.

Last edited by johnt365; 11-12-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:46 PM
roadblock69
Instructor

starting point Make sure all the plug wires are routed correctly.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by lars
Before doing any carb work, make sure you check the timing and ignition system. As I state in my tuning seminars, "90% of all carb problems are ignition problems." Get a timing light and set it up per my "How to Set Timing" paper with 36 degrees total advance and initial timing in the 8 - 18 degree range to produce the 36 total. Make sure vacuum advance is hooked up and operational, and make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Make sure wires, cap and rotor are in good shape and that the plugs are fresh.

Once timing/ignition is set and verified, the only thing that will cause backfire up through the carb is a lean condition. This will be noticable on acceleration, when a rich mixture is required. If you're popping up through the carb after you've verified the ignition is good, richen up the carb. You'd be much better off getting a correct Q-Jet for the car than to run that old Carter AFB on there...

Lars
Listen to this man. He KNOWS his SH_T!!! He does not steer anyone wrong.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Isten to Lars advise first, if that fails, check for cam exhaust flat lobe.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure youir firing order is correct. It's quick and simple to do and the wrong firing order will definately cause backfiring upon acceleration.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Garys 68
Listen to Lars advise first, if that fails, check for cam exhaust flat lobe.
I was thinking about that, too, but a flat exhaust lobe will make the engine pop up through the carb even at idle. The fact that the issue only occurs on acceleration would, hopefully, indicate that the cam is still in good shape and that it's more of a tuning and setup issue.

Lars
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

With oil reformulation, I've seen more than a few boats with partially flat lobed cams (high spring pressures). Idle fine, but spit back through the carb under load when the partially open exhaust valve cant clear the cylinder. Even firing voltages across the cylinders was the same at idle.
It's easier to catch a partial flat lobe on a boat since they're either idle or load. I suspect you can drive a car under light load much longer and finish off the lobe and mushroom the lifter though.
Anyway, thought I would throw that out there after checking the ignition and carb/fuel. But if there was a recent cam change, checking lobes would be high on my list.

I was thinking about that, too, but a flat exhaust lobe will make the engine pop up through the carb even at idle. The fact that the issue only occurs on acceleration would, hopefully, indicate that the cam is still in good shape and that it's more of a tuning and setup issue.

Lars
Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Naki Boy
1st Gear

Have you checked the plugs? Mine would do that when plugs fouled before rebuild

Last edited by Naki Boy; 11-19-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Hamin79
Intermediate

had the same problem turned out to be the cam, my vette sat for 10 years found 3 bad lifters and 2 bad cam lobes, she runs like a champ now, i ordered the cam from summit i told the sales rep i wanted the largest cam available fo rthe the stock valve springs and valves
Old 10-20-2017, 11:34 PM
327_Stingray
1st Gear

Lars
Lars, as always your advice was spot on; was having the same issue with my 68. After seeing this thread I started with inspecting plugs and wires. Sure enough, the wire going into the ignition coil was not properly seated. I corrected this and now it runs great without any backfire. Thanks much!
Old 10-21-2017, 02:44 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bjenki7
I have a 1977 vette that I inherited from my uncle. It had been sitting for several years, but I have been working on it, and I have gotten it up and running. It cranks right up and idles fine, but once I press down on the gas it backfires through the carb. Once I put it in gear and go down the road, it will drive fine until I try to accelerate, and then it will backfire through the carb again. It doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold.

I think that the problem started with my uncle when he did a carb and intake swap on the car. He installed an Edelbrock carb and intake. Is this a timing/fuel issue?? I would appreciate any help. This is driving me crazy!

There's only two common things that can cause a backfire thru the carburetor and that's excessively early ignition timing and an exhaust valve not opening.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:18 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually, the most common cause of backfire through the carb is a lean condition caused by a failed accelerator pump. Lack of pump shot upon sudden opening of the throttle blades will cause an immediate backfire through the carb. Failed pumps are common with the modern pump gas. The fact that the car had been sitting for several years is further indication that the accelerator pump has shriveled up and failed. But ignition should always be checked first. But let's hope that he got it figured out over the past 5 years since he posted the question...

Last edited by lars; 10-21-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Backfiring through carb

Quick Reply: Backfiring through carb