Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
fly1977
CF Member

Default Best deal on Leaking Brakes

Ok Guys, What is the best route to take on leaking brakes. My 69 was purchased by me after a partial restoration and it sat for ten years.When I got it it had no fluid or master cyl. I put new calipier kits in with bores that were allready stainless. I have done this twice and still have small leaks on the front.I only want to do this one more time and do it right.Oh by the way I do have silicone fluid in it. So what is the best no cheap way to handle this. Thanks for all of your help as allways. Charlie
fly1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Sids04
CF Senior Member

I just replaced the calipers on mine.. I attempted to rebuild my old ones.. The results were not good.. I got a nice set of rebuilt ones for 70 a piece.. It sure sounds like the seal is pinched between the piston and the bore..
Sids04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
72LS1Vette
CF Senior Member

You could do another rebuild with a VN&P O-ring kit or buy calipers that already have O-rings in them. I rebuilt mine ~4 years ago and no brake problems since. The lip seals tend to leak if the car is only driven occasionally. My 72 didn't get much drive time this year and has averaged ~400 miles per year previously and the O-ring seals have been great.

Rick B.
72 Ontario Orange Coupe. 2001 LS1 - LS6 block & Intake, Thunder Racing Cam, Ported heads and Throttle Body, Meziere electric water pump, Hooker Shorty Headers, 2001 T56 6-speed trans, VB&P Street & Slalom suspension, Magnaflow exhaust, DeWitt's radiator, SPAL fan, C5 power seats, Borgeson steering conversion. Future mods: HydoBoost, floor mats.
72LS1Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
jafco2

When I rebuilt mine I used a O ring kit instead of the one with the lip seal. From folk I have talked top the O ring ones last alot longer.
jafco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
fly1977
CF Member

please be more specific and give web site for o-ring seals,Thanks charlie
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
carriljc
CF Senior Member

Default best no cheap way...ok...

I had the same problem for years.

This past summer I bought the Wilwood set while there was a special mentioned here in the forum.

They are wonderful.

I'm impressed every time I get in the car and use them. I'm even considering adding power brakes.... I went with the D8 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears in red powdercoat.

here is the link to the promo that was going on....not going on now, but you can still buy all the stuff.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...per-promo.html

Last edited by carriljc; 12-11-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: to add link
carriljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
jafco2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly1977 View Post
please be more specific and give web site for o-ring seals,Thanks charlie
Charlie, go to the vbandp.com web site and you will find a O ring conversion kit. This comes with all new pistons, seals, bolts etc. that you need to rebuild your calipers. It has been ~8 years since I did the rebuild and no leaks.
jafco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
TimAT
CF Senior Member

Make sure all of your calipers have sleeves- the o-rings require them. (ID is slightly different- according to VBP)
TimAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
SuperBuickGuy
CF Senior Member

I'm so glad I trashed the 'vette stuff - err, gave to a worthy sap... no, that's not right.... worthy 'vette guy so that he could rebuild and have leaky, cast iron, 40 year old brakes

I went with Wilwood... by the time you add up the cost of rebuild and pads, wilwoods are very attractive..... that and they stop on a dime

I combined mine with slotted rotors from the auto parts company with distribution warehouses in Ohio and Nevada (reno).... they work amazing.
SuperBuickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
69ttop
CF Senior Member

what I suggest is to have your calipers stainless steel sleeved and upgrade to "O" ring pistons and have your original calipers returned to you to maintain correctness. it will coast extra but its worth it.
69ttop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
redvetracr
CF Senior Member

If you or anyone else is interested I have these available, freshly rebuilt with stainless steel sleeves and (brand new) o-ring pistons...SEND A PM for more info!!

Click the image to open in full size.
redvetracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
fly1977
CF Member

how much $
Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
mac79vette
CF Senior Member

I had problems for years and kept rebuilding my calipers and replaced them a few times. Finely about 5 1/2 years ago I bought a front and rear set from Vette brakes that are SS lined and have O rings. Drove it for a year and than the car sat untouched for four years while I was stationed overseas. When I got back this summer pulled it out of storage and drove the car 1800 miles, no leaks and nothing sticking with the brakes.
mac79vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
Sids04
CF Senior Member

They key to lip seals is to remember to pump the brake pedal once a week or so during the off season..
Sids04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #15
69ttop
CF Senior Member

water builds up in the caliper and settles to the bottom of the bores the electro reaction between he aluminum piston and steel pitts the bore and that is what causes the leakes over time
69ttop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Best deal on Leaking Brakes