C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you install a flexplate backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Can you install a flexplate backwards?

This is actually on a 428 Pontiac in my Trans Am, so it might be different from what happens on BBC/SBC's, but you guys are pretty sharp with engines, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask here in addition to the more sparsely traveled Pontiac board I am on.

I am trying to fix a starter issue, and despite getting a type of mini-starter that I could shim away from the flexplate, I still do not have enough clearance between the dsiengaged starter gear teeth and the flexplate gear teeth.

I did notice that the gear ring on the flexplate is offset a bit more toward the front of the car off of the main disk that bolts to the crank.

Is it possible that whoever assembled the engine/transmission put it on backwards? Two different brands of mini-starter hit the flexplate gear teeth, and the snout of the stock one that I took off is notched to clear the flexplate gear teeth.

If it can not be flipped, it may be that the flexplate itself is just way out of tolerance.

This can't be normal, and I am getting frustrated.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Aldo_45030
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it is or i should say on a AMC304 it is. the heads of the bolts hit when turned because of the dish of the fly wheel.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:56 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

the "bumps" where it bolts to the converter on the plate should bulge out toward the converter.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
the "bumps" where it bolts to the converter on the plate should bulge out toward the converter.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
nate99
Race Director

I don't really see any bulges around the bolts on either side. The contour of the flexplate curves around the coutour of the torque converter, i.e. they are both concave/convex in the same orientation.

Here is a pic.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

your picture isn't very informative, but there should only be contact between the plate and the converter at the bolt sites. it can't be flat, one side has to be raised at the bolt hole areas.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by jnb5101
your picture isn't very informative, but there should only be contact between the plate and the converter at the bolt sites. it can't be flat, one side has to be raised at the bolt hole areas.
I understand, perhaps I'm doing a poor job of describing it. Here's a shot of the converter side of the flexplate.

I suppose what I meant was, there is no "bulge" in the flexplate near the converter bolt holes.

With the dish of the plate, I don't think you could get it attached to the converter if it were flipped.

This is a longshot idea, just casting around for opinions.

Thanks.

Last edited by nate99; 01-19-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:46 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

That last pic looks like a balance weight welded to the flex-plate, I'm guessing it's backwards, but I wouldn't flip it without confirmation. Looks like flipping it will shift the ring gear forward, is that what you need?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by '75
That last pic looks like a balance weight welded to the flex-plate, I'm guessing it's backwards, but I wouldn't flip it without confirmation. Looks like flipping it will shift the ring gear forward, is that what you need?
Flipping it would put the ring gear where I need it, or at least move it in the right direction.

I'm scouring the internet for ideas, and I found one place where it said that Pontiac flexplates will only go on one way, so it may just be a cheaply made part. Or something else entirely might be off.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by nate99
Flipping it would put the ring gear where I need it, or at least move it in the right direction.

I'm scouring the internet for ideas, and I found one place where it said that Pontiac flexplates will only go on one way, so it may just be a cheaply made part. Or something else entirely might be off.
I was going to say that it could only go one way, but I not done a Poncho trans in over 20 years now, but that was my recollection also....

Do a search for a fellow named Ron Johnson, Potomac Pontiac....is the business name, I knew him back when....been over 20 years now....he was a good man, maybe not the cheapest guy around, but now a daze you gotta figger those parts outta production over 30 years now....

more than anything, I suspect your flex plate is fine,...and the aftermarket starters are not made correctly, most likely a CHINA import.....

what you maybe able to do is change the starter bolts for ones of similar length, or use a larger nut/washers as spacers under the bolt heads....starter bolts are fatter along the shank for alignment purposes, and so maybe a skinnier bolt will allow fore some slop....you need pull the Bendix spring to the rear to engage the flex place teeth, I used to do it manually, but if you pull the tab off the motor side, you can do it electrically, but that's a bit of a mess doing it that way....get some piece of really stiff steel wire and bend a hook on the end, use that to grab the Bendix......

Old 01-19-2013, 09:32 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Can't be any of my pontiacs.............there'd be oil streaming down the pan, flex plate, trans..................
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrvette
I was going to say that it could only go one way, but I not done a Poncho trans in over 20 years now, but that was my recollection also....

Do a search for a fellow named Ron Johnson, Potomac Pontiac....is the business name, I knew him back when....been over 20 years now....he was a good man, maybe not the cheapest guy around, but now a daze you gotta figger those parts outta production over 30 years now....

more than anything, I suspect your flex plate is fine,...and the aftermarket starters are not made correctly, most likely a CHINA import.....

what you maybe able to do is change the starter bolts for ones of similar length, or use a larger nut/washers as spacers under the bolt heads....starter bolts are fatter along the shank for alignment purposes, and so maybe a skinnier bolt will allow fore some slop....you need pull the Bendix spring to the rear to engage the flex place teeth, I used to do it manually, but if you pull the tab off the motor side, you can do it electrically, but that's a bit of a mess doing it that way....get some piece of really stiff steel wire and bend a hook on the end, use that to grab the Bendix......

Thanks. I'll probably go back with a stock replacement. I did install a remote (Ford) solenoid, so hopefully my heat soak issue won't be a problem.

Originally Posted by ramair_bryan
Can't be any of my pontiacs.............there'd be oil streaming down the pan, flex plate, trans..................
Just a slow ooze around the back of the oil pan.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by nate99
Thanks. I'll probably go back with a stock replacement. I did install a remote (Ford) solenoid, so hopefully my heat soak issue won't be a problem.

Just a slow ooze around the back of the oil pan.
Then you must be running the rope seal, there is a CADDY seal from a 500 ci engine that will fit that Poncho 428 as I recall the main was 3.25" and so the caddy seal is two crescent shaped rubber inserts with a steel wire insert, the install is pretty easy, but you have to match the ends as they maybe made a bit long, so to grind them down till the two sections form a perfect circle laid out on the bench....use a small dap of RTV black when I finally figgered out I had to grind/match the seal into a perfect circle, all the leaks were fixed at that point,......

Get notified of new replies

To Can you install a flexplate backwards?

Quick Reply: Can you install a flexplate backwards?