C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Interest in a Add-on Delay Wiper Kit? Please give us your input!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 09:00 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The snag on this isn't a delay module, that's the easy part.... it's the timing issue. If you look at the 1978-1982 cars the wiper motor cover incorporated a timing mechanism in the cover. (show below). Every time the bell crank in the motor hit the arm it let the delay module know the position.

To explain this a bit further... You can do a fixed stop of the arms but if there was any variance in the stop position, it may change and you don't want the arms stopping in mid sweep.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-22-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:31 PM
OzBeast
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

So... is this dead?

I'm using my 75 as a DD and no intermittent wiper position is a pain. Would love a stealth solution!
Old 11-03-2015, 05:43 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I installed a 3-speed delay module from "Revolution" about 2 months ago and it works perfectly. About $85 if I recall. It takes some getting used to to operate it but once learned it works perfectly. It gives an 8 second, 5 second, or 3 second delay.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:48 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Not dead, just not on the fire right now... Other projects (adjustable resistors for the temp gauges) pushed this back.

Toobroke.. what keeps the motor in and arms in synchronization with each other on your set up? The 1978-1982 cars with pulse all had a rub resistor inside the washer pump which told the delay module the position of the wiper arms.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

I have a '68 and am very interested in delay wipers. Is '68 out completely or would a 69 setup work? I am not an all original owner so the switch to '9 is minor unless it involves mounting or something else permanent. Keep pursuing it!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:32 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
I have a '68 and am very interested in delay wipers. Is '68 out completely or would a 69 setup work? I am not an all original owner so the switch to '9 is minor unless it involves mounting or something else permanent. Keep pursuing it!
I guess I'll get back to visiting this again next month. If I make one it should work for 1963-1977 cars. I have a proto already built but we've not figured out how to sync the arms to location. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, but I feel as if it was important enough for GM I should consider it. I don't want the arms stopping mid sweep.

Willcox
Old 11-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I guess I'll get back to visiting this again next month. If I make one it should work for 1963-1977 cars. I have a proto already built but we've not figured out how to sync the arms to location. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, but I feel as if it was important enough for GM I should consider it. I don't want the arms stopping mid sweep.

Willcox
I have experimented w/ several modules- but the park throws a kink in the system...

Have you thought about just a replacement motor w/ the functions built -in- rather than trying to rework?

There's a few guys doing it for C2's already-

seven-speed wiper motor with 5 delays, low speed, and high speed, rotary switch

Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

I was trying to make this a mod that would appear stock and be concealed. It's possible and we know how to do it... but that would involve gluing or riveting a contact inside the washer pump similar to that of the 1978-1982. On 78-82 the bellcrank inside the motor hits this resistor every time around telling the module what position the arms are in.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-05-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 AM
OzBeast
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to hear this is still alive!

Not sure what years use the 555 timing chip, but I remember reading somewhere on the interwebs (some other Vette forum I think) that this could be a simple(r) solution by tweaking that timing chip. Correct me if I'm way off.

To be honest, a system that activates, does one sweep, parks, and then reactivates 1-2 seconds later would still be better than the all or nothing we have now.

For instance, if I manually switch the wipers on, then mid sweep turn them off, they will park. I'm thinking a replacement switch assembly where the first detent went to some kind of timing board that provided 1 second of 'normal' wiper position, followed by 2 seconds of 'off' position, then rinse repeat. I haven't looked into the system, but could this work?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:32 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

I'm trying to figure out the timing on this. I don't want the arms to park so I'm trying to come up with a way to sense the arm location. The 78-82 motors has a resistor and a rub pad for this but cars made prior won't be able to run this. I have a few good ideas so I'll keep you guys updated...

The delay works fine, but I'm worried it could lose place without some sort of sensor.
That's exactly the problem that I was going to ask about. How will you sense the wiper position?

In that regard can it not be done with a switch in the motor cover like in my '79?

No on a bit farther, how about replacement switch covers for the '78+ with pulse wipers?!?! My original was missing and the used one I bought doesn't seem that it will last very long.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:24 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by OzBeast
Great to hear this is still alive!

Not sure what years use the 555 timing chip, but I remember reading somewhere on the interwebs (some other Vette forum I think) that this could be a simple(r) solution by tweaking that timing chip. Correct me if I'm way off.

To be honest, a system that activates, does one sweep, parks, and then reactivates 1-2 seconds later would still be better than the all or nothing we have now.

For instance, if I manually switch the wipers on, then mid sweep turn them off, they will park. I'm thinking a replacement switch assembly where the first detent went to some kind of timing board that provided 1 second of 'normal' wiper position, followed by 2 seconds of 'off' position, then rinse repeat. I haven't looked into the system, but could this work?
I don't think the park switches would last very long if you parked them each sweep. There needs to be some sort of sensor in place to tell the board where the arms are at (how the 78-82 worked).

I've got no plans to make the cover plate but I think it will enter-change with passenger car if you do need one. I've not verified that.... but I can some time soon.

Willcox
Old 11-06-2015, 05:40 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

I don't think the park switches would last very long if you parked them each sweep. There needs to be some sort of sensor in place to tell the board where the arms are at (how the 78-82 worked).

I've got no plans to make the cover plate but I think it will enter-change with passenger car if you do need one. I've not verified that.... but I can some time soon.

Willcox
Also my though about park operation if you activate it with every sweep as would happen by simply using a timer and necessity for a timer.

Knowing how loath many C3 owners are to make modifications I think your work is cut out for you to design and have manufactured (at any reasonable cost) a sensor that detects when the wipers are at the low point of their stroke.

I know that the motor mechanism is somewhat different before '78 so do not know if there is something in there to act as a trigger for some sort of simple mechanism like '78+ Optical sensors are extremely accurate but would require additional wiring (beyond a simple ground input to the delay module) and would probably be beyond the ability of many to both install and adjust unless you can come up with a foolproof way to mount both the light source and the sensor as a unit. Some sort of switch mechanism in the wiper cavity might work but it would have to be very robust and weatherproof and would also require getting a wire in there in a way considered "acceptable".

Sorry that I don't know more about the internal operation of the motor reversing automatic park wipers. I've always considered it an extremely ingenious mechanism. If DeLorean would have had many such innovations in his signature car I bet it would have met with far better success.

Regarding my used cover. When it arrived it looked quite clean so I just installed it after a cursory look. I just took it off and found that some grease was causing conduction problems on the carbon pad that contacts the rotating post. It's now conducting perfectly and I suspect it will work just fine. The problem was that after a few proper operations it would begin to skip delays. Yes, I know that there is some interchange with other GM models (definitely some Cadillacs) but since it seems to have gone out of production quite some time ago the available stock is certainly dwindling.

On the subject of interchange, I consider myself extremely lucky to have found a NOS cruise servo, in the box and with rubber in perfect condition for my '79 at a very reasonable price compared to the ridiculous price I was seeing for used ones. It was not for a Corvette. I think it was for a V8 Nova. The front mounting tab is different but all I had to do was slightly shorten the arm that connects it to the throttle.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:48 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I've owned my 70 for three years now and the only time I turn on the wipers is to show people the wipers and the vacuum system actually work.

Last edited by Iceaxe; 11-06-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Just thought I'd post this up to members have subscribed to this thread-

How I did it- https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nt-wipers.html

I have a 90's GM delay board- used on vehicles that park the wipers and also used the internal park switch solenoid from the newer motor.

Using a 73 and later Vette wiper motor-not really enough room inside the 69-72. Will work controlling the wiper door-just an additional relay needed.

Will have to use an external washer pump like the later models (I'm thinking post 75)

Using a couple Bosch SPDT relays- the control switch from the90's GM steering column and a DPST switch to control the washer.

I have - controlled by a single rotary ****

Mist operation-one sweep and parks
5 delays-30/15/8/4/2/1 sec-does NOT park in delay modes
low and high

The single push button controls wash-runs the pump for a second or two and sweeps 3 times and parks

Quick Reply: Any Interest in a Add-on Delay Wiper Kit? Please give us your input!