C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a good quality spray gun

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 PM
joefloyd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good quality spray gun

I am looking to buy a good quality spray gun to spray primer, base coat and clear coat. What can you recomend that I can get different spray nozzle sizes to spray all of the above.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

The quality guns will allow you to interchange hats and tips. Lower quality guns might not have the right tips and hats you really need, will have comfort and performance compromises. Everyone who paints has a favorite gun manufacturer/style. Paint guns stir the emotions like an oil thread. Everyone is right and everyone is wrong. You do get what you pay for, though. Not to say you can't do a great paint job with a $50 gun, but that's not where the smart money is.

If you are going to spray anything with high solids, like surfacers, I recommend you get a cheaper gun already set up for such. They may be referred to as "primer guns" since most painters always used a separate gun for priming. Few actually thoroughly cleaned them and they end up look like crap on the outside.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by joefloyd
I am looking to buy a good quality spray gun to spray primer, base coat and clear coat. What can you recomend that I can get different spray nozzle sizes to spray all of the above.
There's forums like this one where painters hang out. It's a good place to look for threads about paint guns from pro painters. Sata is a safe bet. I've had good luck with Sharp... made by Binks. I'd look for a HVLP with an alum. cup... get a good dryer too for your air line. Waterborne paints are going to be all you can get someday so I'd keep that in mind while selecting a gun/guns and tips.

A quick search led to this.... many more sites though. Good luck!
Jim

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/vi...94adcb2f48d80d
Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to paint your one project, and perhaps use the guns for a few small things afterward I recommend the DeVilbiss FinishLine guns as a minimum acceptable quality. Sharpe and Binks make similar "hobby" quality sets as well... I haven't shot with those as yet though. You can of course spend as much on a whizbang professional series gun and interchangeable caps and nozzles as you wish...but the gun is only one part of the fine finish equation. I painted my 1977 using a single $15 Harbor Freight "purple" spraygun for both primers and topcoat; but I have several years experience as a painter to draw from. A practiced painter can get away with using an inferior gun, but a $600.00 gun will not make a novice's job look like Foose painted it. You must practice before you shoot color on your car.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Sharp Cobalt HVLP gravity feed that I really like and is a good value for the money and cost about $150. The one I bought has a 1.4 tip which is to small for high build primers. Additional needle and air cap run between $50-$60. The tech sheet from the paint manufacture will tell you the range of tip size to use with their products. As someone mentioned paint guns and paint brands are controversial subjects but I am pretty sure that I have achieved better results than the guys that were using a paint roller to apply Rustoleum.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a DeVilbiss Starting Line set for my car last year. It has two guns and three tips, 1.3,1.5,& 1.8mm.$135 for the set. They don't lay paint as nicely as a high-dollar SATA or Iwata gun, but if you check out my paint thread you'll see that they do a decent job, perfectly adequate for a home hobbyist...
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

DeVilbiss finishline does well for the money. You can get one with an assortment of tips that do BC/CC and primer for $200.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by birdsmith
I bought a DeVilbiss Starting Line set for my car last year. It has two guns and three tips, 1.3,1.5,& 1.8mm.$135 for the set. They don't lay paint as nicely as a high-dollar SATA or Iwata gun, but if you check out my paint thread you'll see that they do a decent job, perfectly adequate for a home hobbyist...
Your work speaks well for the gun. You did a real nice job on your car.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask these guys, in particular, DUB.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/paint-body-138/
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 AM
woodvette03
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

love my accuspray hvlp. it was about $400
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Diablo427
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have two Sata guns. I love Sata stuff. You can find them on ebay sometimes or Craig's list for great deals. Mine were around $500 new each and I have about 4 caps and needles in different sizes which ran more. If you find a used one, you can get a new cap and tip and possibly a rebuild kit and it will be just like new. Sometimes you can catch a great gun on ebay for $100 or so. Just have to watch for them. All of the brands of pro guns rock. Sata, Binks, etc. Myself and lots of other people, like Sata. I think that Sata is usually the most popular professional brand spray gun in the world but that probably depends on who you talk to. Here is a sample video on you tube that I just happened across. I haven't watched it but you might find it helpful if you are new too spray guns.

Last edited by Diablo427; 03-08-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Freddy76
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default spray guns

I use a cheap harbor freight gun for primer and epoxy primer. I use a Binks model #7 and #18 for color. I keep a Binks gravity feed for clear only.I know it's old school but they work great and you can buy rebuild kits when need them.

Get notified of new replies

To What is a good quality spray gun

Quick Reply: What is a good quality spray gun