C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Heater Hoses?

Here's my question for today - I'm replacing the heater hoses on my 1970 4-speed with AC coupe and ordered the correct pre-bent with GM logo hoses. My car has the heater water control valve inside the right fender. The hoses came as a set of two, one for the intake that has a 90* bend on one end and a small bend on the other for where it goes into the intake, and another hose for the water pump that is straight on the pump end and has a 90* bend on the other for the heater core.

My question concerns the intake hose. Am I supposed to cut this? There's of course a short piece of hose going from the heater core to the valve that should have the 90* bend on the core side. I see no advantage to having a bend going into the valve from the intake. Is this making sense? I believe I do need to cut the hose to create the smaller hose from the valve to the core, but want to make sure before I go slashing and cutting things.

On a positive note, tested the valve I got and my heater now works!

This is the hose kit:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050G
Old 04-17-2013, 10:06 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to know too. I already installed these on my 71 with AC. I did cut the hose in the middle where the shut off valve is. Works fine, but not sure if this is how GM did it. It might be in the AIM, but I'm too lazy to check.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bend at the intake allows you to run the heater hose under the fuel line without kinking it.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Roco71
The bend at the intake allows you to run the heater hose under the fuel line without kinking it.
Yes sir, that part is done. It's the other end that has me confused. I think the hose has to be cut into two pieces...the long one going to the intake with the little bend, the short one going to the core with the big bend.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to cut mine to put the shut off valve in.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Roco71
I had to cut mine to put the shut off valve in.
Thanks Roco, I figured that. Unfortunately my AIM wasn't much help with this one, so the forum saves again.

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Hoses?

Quick Reply: Heater Hoses?