C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How 'bout a clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Go Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How 'bout a clutch?

It's time for a new clutch. I don't know what's in there now but it's crap. All slip, no grip, heavy pedal to the floor for every shift, throwout now squalling.

I've looked at a lot of threads but most talk about higher hp applications and my car is under 300hp. I've seen some talk about LuK being a good replacement. What's a good kit for a lower hp application?

And what about a flywheel? Is it a good idea to just put in a new one at the same time while things are apart?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2013, 12:52 AM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Vette
It's time for a new clutch. I don't know what's in there now but it's crap. All slip, no grip, heavy pedal to the floor for every shift, throwout now squalling.

I've looked at a lot of threads but most talk about higher hp applications and my car is under 300hp. I've seen some talk about LuK being a good replacement. What's a good kit for a lower hp application?

And what about a flywheel? Is it a good idea to just put in a new one at the same time while things are apart?

Thanks
Hi Go Vette, I would recommend a Centerforce dual friction and possibly resurfacing your flywheel. Alternately you could put in a new flywheel as well but it all depends on your budget. There are cheaper clutches out there but from what others have mentioned the CF dual friction clutches appear to be good quality for the price.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,178 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Try LUK clutches. They are much like the factory clutch and that is all you need for a low HP motor.

Carolina Clutches has terrific prices and can supply a new flywheel cheap. I just bought their LUK clutch and flywheel for my 65 327/350. It was very reasonable and I had it in 3 days. Works just like the factory clutch. Moderate pedal pressure. I like Centerforce DF clutches and have one in my 61 with my 383. You don't need it.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Big Block 69
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Default clutch

With your HP rating, I would use a stock replacement clutch. If you had twice that amount of Horsepower, I would still use a stock replacement clutch. Luk is a popular brand in my area.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM
MAXCO
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my clutch last summer with a factory replacement and resurfaced the flywheel.

My car has a bit more power than stock but nothing huge, you should be fine with stock replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To How 'bout a clutch?

Quick Reply: How 'bout a clutch?