C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal flasher not making sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 695 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Turn signal flasher not making sound

Last year before leaving for the Power Tour, I had problems with my turn signals not working. I replaced the original OEM blue turn signal flasher (located behind the passenger dash on my '72) with a NAPA 552 which is supposed to be correct for my year. The turn signals then started working again. However there was no clicking sound as they flashed but at least I had turn signals for my road trip. Today thinking the flasher unit from last year was bad, replaced it with another NAPA 552 only to get the same results. I have turn signals but no clicking sound as they flash. My question is: Isn't the clicking sound also supposed to come from the thermal flasher unit itself as well? Here's a pic of the original blue thermal flasher and the NAPA 552. Thanks
Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes, the flasher should be making the clicking noise...
Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Yes, the flasher should be making the clicking noise...
Do both the solid state relays and the original ones make the clicking noise? Is it possible you bought one of the newer solid state electric relays? That's what I bought since they are much more reliable and honestly I never paid much attention to how much noise it makes. I believe the clicking was originally a side effect of the metal contact "clicking" as it actuated from the heat.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the replies:

[QUOTE=Yes, the flasher should be making the clicking noise...]

Good, as this is what I thought also. Just wanted to verify there wasn't another item that made the noise.

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
Do both the solid state relays and the original ones make the clicking noise? Is it possible you bought one of the newer solid state electric relays? That's what I bought since they are much more reliable and honestly I never paid much attention to how much noise it makes. I believe the clicking was originally a side effect of the metal contact "clicking" as it actuated from the heat.
I wondered the same thing but the NAPA 552 is labeled as being thermal. To be sure, I just took one of them apart and they appear to be thermal and not solid state (see pic below). So I would assume they would make the clicking sound as did the original OEM one. I may have ended up with 2 defective flashers?

Anyone have any experience with replacing the turn signal flashers with another brand?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Well.... They're likely made in China.... by the 'lowest bidder'...

It could be a design problem; or it could be just a manufacturing goof, that allows some to 'click' and others to not click. You could test that out by hooking up that flasher with a 9 volt battery and a spare blub (while you have it apart) to see how the mechanism actuates and determine why it won't click. You may even be able to "tweak" it into submission so that it will provide you with an audible signal that the flasher is working.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I have one of the heavy duty turn signal flashers and it's VERY quiet. You've checked with the motor and radio off to verify there's no noise?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:46 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako72
Anyone have any experience with replacing the turn signal flashers with another brand?
I replace them with an "electro mechanical" flasher.
Around 10 bucks, but well worth it.
Besides hearing it, the biggest advantage is that if any bulbs burn out, then it still flashes the same rate AND the burnt out bulb just doesn't work, all the others still work properly. With thermal oem flashers, the all the bulbs can act funky and make it hard to find the bad bulb. It still works properly with only one bulb working.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...fier=6413_0_0_
Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Quote: Well.... They're likely made in China.... by the 'lowest bidder'...Quote

I agree, and they're both stamped Made in China. I'll try the 9V deal and see what happens.

Quote: I have one of the heavy duty turn signal flashers and it's VERY quiet. You've checked with the motor and radio off to verify there's no noise? Quote

I pulled the passenger side panel, put the turn signal on and felt both NAPA units. You could feel them both doing their mechanical thing to flash the turn signals but no sound. I remember being able to hear the original OEM thermal flasher.

Quote: I replace them with an "electro mechanical" flasher.
Around 10 bucks, but well worth it.
Besides hearing it, the biggest advantage is that if any bulbs burn out, then it still flashes the same rate AND the burnt out bulb just doesn't work, all the others still work properly. With thermal oem flashers, the all the bulbs can act funky and make it hard to find the bad bulb. It still works properly with only one bulb working. Quote

I will try one of these electro-mech units. Hopefully they will make the clicking noise when the turn signals are engaged. I think the NAPA units are designed to work the flashers but make no noise. At 3 dollars apiece, that would be asking too much.....
Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Funny story about the c3 flasher.... It was one of the reasons I got the car so cheap...the guy said the flasher hadn't worked in a year despite him changing the flasher twice... I quickly realised he was changing the hazard flasher on the drivers side and the turn signal flasher looked original.... between that and the radio shack siren wired up with a lamp cord and doorbell switch because he lost the metal ring in the horn button I could tell the PO wasn't very handy.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mako72
I will try one of these electro-mech units. Hopefully they will make the clicking noise when the turn signals are engaged. I think the NAPA units are designed to work the flashers but make no noise. At 3 dollars apiece, that would be asking too much.....
That's what I'm using; it's been in my car for over 10 years and works great.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

That's what I'm using; it's been in my car for over 10 years and works great.
Good to hear that this one makes an audible noise as it flashes.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 AM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So why do my indicators flash really fast with no sound for a few seconds, before slowing down and clicking in an appropriate way?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mrmagrath
So why do my indicators flash really fast with no sound for a few seconds, before slowing down and clicking in an appropriate way?
Sounds like you might have a bad connection or dying bulb somewhere. (at least the really fast part)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 AM
70LQ4
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the flasher solidly mounted in the bracket , or just hanging by the wires ? It must be mounted in the bracket for it to click properly. Stan.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Even my Original doesn't click. Additionally to that, the light on my dash works for the right turn signals but not for the lefts ...
Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

{Burnt out bulb in the dash...}
Old 05-15-2013, 03:53 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you might have a bad connection or dying bulb somewhere. (at least the really fast part)
Ah, that makes sense. Found I have a rear marker bulb out.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signal flasher not making sound

Old 05-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
{Burnt out bulb in the dash...}
Stupid me... but it's going to be a damn hassle to take the cluster out again.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette
Stupid me... but it's going to be a damn hassle to take the cluster out again.
You don't have to take the entire cluster out to replace those bulbs, just the lens and bezel.

UNLESS the socket is bad... that's what happened to the left T/S in my 78. Good luck! Test the bulb with a 9V or other source while you have it out. If it lights up, you have a bad socket.

When I pick up new sockets from the store I bring a 9v with me, I've had multiple "new" sockets test bad...
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 70LQ4
Is the flasher solidly mounted in the bracket , or just hanging by the wires ? It must be mounted in the bracket for it to click properly. Stan.

If the flasher isn't in it's holder, you won't hear it (especially with the engine running) since the holder is used as a 'sounding board' to make the click more audible.

Now my question is:
If the flasher is functioning normally otherwise, who cares if you can hear it click? I always found it a bit annoying personally..

Quick Reply: Turn signal flasher not making sound