C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greaseless u-joints leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 PM
MacVette86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Greaseless u-joints leaking?

I rebuilt my front and rear suspension over the winter and replaced all the u-joints with Moog heavy duty greaseless u-joints. Now that I've driven the car for a while, I pit it up on the lift for a visual inspection and to check all the nuts and bolts for correct torque.

I noticed that three of the greaseless u-joints have actually leaked some grease. Is this normal or should I be concerned. BTW, no noise or vibration and no play in the joints. I'm worried that the leakage will cause premature wear of the u-joint?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

The grease is applied cold, heat would cause expansion and some seepage, clean them and keep an eye on them.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:03 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you mean no grease fittings? I have never seen u-joints with no grease. As MelWff stated it is the excess grease being squeezed out after a few heat cycles. mike...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The joints without a grease fitting are not really "greaseless". The needle bearings are liberally coated with grease and some excess placed in the cap when they are manufactured/assembled. As mentioned, operation and engine heating will cause what grease is in there to expand; and some can ooze out from the cup seal(s). But, once that is expelled, you shouldn't get any more grease to come out...unless the joint is defective in some manner.

I'm surprised that the joints without grease fittings don't get greased with hi-temp synthetic grease these days. Synthetic wouldn't 'melt' under minor heating. But, it might cost an extra $.01 per joint....

Get notified of new replies

To Greaseless u-joints leaking?

Quick Reply: Greaseless u-joints leaking?