C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing strut rod bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:39 PM
MinnesotaJeff
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing strut rod bushings

I need to replace just my upper strut rod bushings. I don't want to mess with cutting the lower shock bolts off to remove the strut rods completely, I want to do it on the car. I have the spring and differential out so there is plenty of room to work. It sounds like the rubber bushings are best for my application, but they are harder to press in. I'm looking for anyone who has put in the replacement rubber ones to comment on how hard they were to press in. I'm wondering if I can press them in using a large C clamp. If they absolutely need a press, then I will probably just go with the poly bushings although I don't really want to do that. I know that the strut needs to twist a bit and the poly wont allow that.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 05:01 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

There are a few vendors that carry the poly three piece strut bushing kit, after polishing the inside of the strut rod to remove the crud these bushings almost press in by hand after lubing with white grease. with the spring disconnected, jacking the trailing arm you can achieve a fairly good alignment for reassembly. there are metal caps on the ends of the bushings replace them also. lube and antisieze everything.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

If you have the rear end apart I would change all the strut rod bushings.
Get a tool from a Vette Vendor to hammer out the lower shock bolt.
I drilled the rubber out on the old bushings and a vice to get them out. The new ones were pressed in with a vice and 1/2" drive sockets.
Drill rubber and vice to remove old bushings

Old and new bushings

Strut Rod Bushing Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 AM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

i agree with mikep3 as mine were equally disintegrated on both sides.good luck.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

my shock mounts came right out. the job is not always the horror story that some people talk about. do all the bushings.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Strut bushings

Originally Posted by MinnesotaJeff
I need to replace just my upper strut rod bushings. I don't want to mess with cutting the lower shock bolts off to remove the strut rods completely, I want to do it on the car. I have the spring and differential out so there is plenty of room to work. It sounds like the rubber bushings are best for my application, but they are harder to press in. I'm looking for anyone who has put in the replacement rubber ones to comment on how hard they were to press in. I'm wondering if I can press them in using a large C clamp. If they absolutely need a press, then I will probably just go with the poly bushings although I don't really want to do that. I know that the strut needs to twist a bit and the poly wont allow that.

Thanks
my 69 was to far gone had to order new struts.Dont forget to block spring when you put back your leaf. good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Installing strut rod bushings

Quick Reply: Installing strut rod bushings