C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:53 PM
SGTCrowley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Replacement?

Any good threads on replacing the fuel tank in a C3 (1979)? I have been searching... can't seem to find anything.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:07 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

its not that hard, remove the gas lid, and rubber around filler neck, you'll be able to see the fuel lines and wiring, i just cut my lines with a razor knife. remove the spare tire carrier (good time to clean/ paint it). i had to lower my exhaust too. undo the two strap bolts and cross bar, and i lowered mine down with a floor jack and a piece of plywood. its not that heavy. and of course siphon out all the fuel first. i just cleaned my tank , it was in good shape and reinstalled it. some pics.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I cleaned and sealed mine. I also took the old straps and sprayed them with wd40 and then slid a rubber bicycle tube over it thinking it my not rub so much ... idk.

the por15 kit did the job for mine and that was 9 years ago.

you are probably going to spill some gas so be careful.

john
Old 07-21-2013, 12:16 PM
SGTCrowley
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedreed8
its not that hard, remove the gas lid, and rubber around filler neck, you'll be able to see the fuel lines and wiring, i just cut my lines with a razor knife. remove the spare tire carrier (good time to clean/ paint it). i had to lower my exhaust too. undo the two strap bolts and cross bar, and i lowered mine down with a floor jack and a piece of plywood. its not that heavy. and of course siphon out all the fuel first. i just cleaned my tank , it was in good shape and reinstalled it. some pics.
Thanks a lot for those PICS! They are a big help!! My confidence has been lifted! I think my tank is seeping at the seams. When I get some money, i am going to just get a new tank from Ecklers.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:30 PM
SGTCrowley
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnt365
I cleaned and sealed mine. I also took the old straps and sprayed them with wd40 and then slid a rubber bicycle tube over it thinking it my not rub so much ... idk.

the por15 kit did the job for mine and that was 9 years ago.

you are probably going to spill some gas so be careful.

john
Thanks! Checked out your 1974 pics! ...always liked the '74 (with a chrome luggage rack)! I remember building a model of one around 1975. I spray painted the body metal flake blue! LOL!!

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Tank Replacement?

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Replacement?