C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:33 PM
68 Issues
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Gauge Question

While I have the dash apart to install a new oil pressure line it is a great time to address the past full reading on the gas gauge. Following the much appreciated Willcox "Fuel Gauge Diagnostic Help 68-76" paper instructions, it appears that the sending unit (SU) is the problem based on the "1" or open circuit reading I am getting when reading across the SU.

While I have access to it, I want to also make certain that the gauge is also functioning properly. Again from the Willcox paper; with the SU disconnected, when I run a ground to the signal input terminal(#1 Stud) on the back of the gauge I get an "Empty" reading. When I ground the "#5" ground stud I get the way past full reading again.

My question is; based on the readings I am getting while testing the gauge, would it be safe to assume it is working properly so I can put the dash back together today while I have the time. I just don't want to wait to put it back together until after I can address the SU problem. If I wait till I can see the gas gauge actually working before I finish the dash, I may never remember where all of those screws go!
Old 09-02-2013, 05:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Label all your screws NOW...while they are still fresh in your memory. If in doubt...wait.

One thing that you may need to be aware of is that I have run into the foam float on the sending unit being heavier than the original factory one. And when I installed it and added fuel...I could see the float in the gas BELOW the surface and hanging about half way. I weighed the new float after taking it out and replaced it with the original due to being a few grams heavier...which was enough to make it NOT float on the surface.

DUB

Quick Reply: Gas Gauge Question