C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:47 AM
f31ixjc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Trouble

My 72 was sitting for over a year while I was working overseas for a year and settling into a new house. I finally got to work on it and had to replace the gas tank, clean up the bottom of the transmission w/an oil and filter change, and finally put on some new mufflers.

I got all excited to get her fired up again and to finally take her for a "good" spin. I got her fired up put her into drive and......nothing. Gear 2...nothing. Gear 1....nothing. Reverse.....nothing. Such a sad day!

I had my wife jump in and shift from park, reverse, drive, and I verified the shift linkage underneath was moving along with her movements from within the car.

The transmission was shifting before I parked the car. Anyone ever experience this?

Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:53 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check the fluid level?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 AM
f31ixjc
Intermediate

Sure did. When I changed the filter I put in 5 fresh qts. Once I got the engine running I checked the level to make sure it was good.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

What tranny th400 ? Make sure the filter in in right
Old 11-19-2013, 08:04 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It sounds like the suction tube on the filter screen did not get pushed up into its bore completely. With the sealing O-ring on it, you must push "up" with quite a bit of force to get the suction tube fully engaged. And, if it's not installed properly, it will just suck air and get no oil for the trans to operate.

Pull the pan and check that suction screen tube. (Also, the O-ring might not have come out of the bore when you removed the tube the first time. That O-ring must be on the end of the tube when it is inserted. Again, if it is not, you get the same problem.)
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM
f31ixjc
Intermediate

Thank you gentlemen, I'll drop the pan and double check the filter. I did a previous thread about my transmission leaking and I described how I had a difficult time getting the filter back on.

Every time I attempted to set it in place, it hung lower on the tube side than everywhere else. I finally gave it a good push and got it to seat properly(I thought). I was than able to put the pan back on which I had not been able to do so previously with it hanging lower on one side.

The only other notable change was the cable going up towards the engine bay, control cable(forgot the name of it), was not connected when the transmission was running. While I changed the filter and oil the last time I connected it and secured it with a washer and c-Pin.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen, I'll give that a try.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:46 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Let us know what you find, Please Have a great Thanksgiving. Gene
Old 12-19-2013, 04:28 PM
f31ixjc
Intermediate

So, the resolution was the fluid after all. I checked the level again once she was nice and warmed up and it was extremely low. I added fluid and wam bam, thank you ma'am, she was moving a long just fine.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

It's good that you solved the problem...just be sure to check that there isn't an EXTRA "O-ring" stuck/jammed in the suction tube hole the next time you drop the transmission pan....

It happens!

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Trouble

Quick Reply: Transmission Trouble