C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77 C3 Tranny mount & driveshaft u joints

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 10:53 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 77 C3 Tranny mount & driveshaft u joints

I have to replace both U joints on my center driveshaft and the tranny mount. I can either jack the car from the side with jack stands or use a set of ramps on the front or rear wheels. Which method would best serve my needs? I have a real bad back and someone's input will save me a lot of pain.
Thanks
Jack
77 L-82
63 SWC
Old 12-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to change the u-joints in the half shafts its a lot easier if you can rotate the wheels to get to the bolts that are on top rotating them to the bottom.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roco71
If you are going to change the u-joints in the half shafts its a lot easier if you can rotate the wheels to get to the bolts that are on top rotating them to the bottom.
Thank you, but i didn't say rear halves. I need to replace the front and rear U joints on the driveshaft that goes from the tranny to the rear.

Thanks
Jack

Last edited by xkeots; 02-01-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Thank you, but i didn't say rear halves. I need to replace the front and rear U joints on the driveshaft that goes from the tranny to the rear. The tranny is automatic. I know that if I pull out the driveshaft, the yolk in the tranny will start pouring out fluid from the tranny. Can I do this job on the car without pulling the yolk?

Thanks
Jack
Old 02-02-2014, 01:13 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by xkeots
Thank you, but i didn't say rear halves. I need to replace the front and rear U joints on the driveshaft that goes from the tranny to the rear. The tranny is automatic. I know that if I pull out the driveshaft, the yolk in the tranny will start pouring out fluid from the tranny. Can I do this job on the car without pulling the yolk?

Thanks
Jack
Yes the yolk can stay in if you have u-bolts or bolted end caps on the yolk. If you have clips the yolk must come out.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by xkeots
Thank you, but i didn't say rear halves. I need to replace the front and rear U joints on the driveshaft that goes from the tranny to the rear.

Thanks
Jack
You're still gonna want to rotate the rear wheels so you can get to all the driveshaft bolts. Especially at the differential.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Buy two more jack stands and use all 4, one under each recommended lifting point . it's the easiest way to work on these cars.

Get notified of new replies

To 77 C3 Tranny mount & driveshaft u joints

Quick Reply: 77 C3 Tranny mount & driveshaft u joints