C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb on the way back!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 PM
mk's78
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Carb on the way back!!!!

Hello fellow C3's,

My Qjet is on it's way back from the rebuilders and I have two questions for the Forum panel of experts...

1....Is there anything needed for the threaded portion of the fuel line nut to the carb such as Teflon tape or thread seal etc????

2....Same question for the carb to intake manifold gasket?????

As always...thanks in advance for your timely and professional support..

mk's78 Mike
Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

1. Normally no.
2. The gasket is used dry.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

A lot of people say to run carb-to-intake gaskets dry, but I have this thing about putting stuff on gaskets. Lately, I have been having great luck with Permatex Copper Spray-a-Gasket. It seals well, and when it's time to remove the gasket, it stays stuck to the gasket, not the intake. I used High-Tack for years, if you use Felpro Karropak gasket material, it stays stuck to the gasket when you remove it, but it's kind of messy to work with when you're installing. I know, some folks will call me Bubba for doing it, but hey, I hate leaks!

Scott
Old 12-10-2013, 04:58 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I use anti seize on line threads, a little on male and female. The threads do not do the sealing, the flare does. The anti seize lubes the threads which allows them to tighten evenly and will allow you to remove them easily in the future. Put some on the tubing where the nut fits also. mike...
Old 12-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

The fuel inlet seals via the flare, not the threads. No Teflon tape! Use a little white grease as a lubricant. And hold the 1" fitting while tightening the inlet with your flare wrench.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:55 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

That's correct. Do not use Teflon tape - that's for pipe threads. Put a little assembly lube on the back side of the tube flare and on the threads to prevent galling and to allow proper torque of the inverted flare nut. The carb gaskets are installed dry. Don't over-tighten the carb hold-down hardware.

Lars
Old 12-11-2013, 01:51 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by mds3013
I use anti seize on line threads, a little on male and female. The threads do not do the sealing, the flare does. The anti seize lubes the threads which allows them to tighten evenly and will allow you to remove them easily in the future. Put some on the tubing where the nut fits also. mike...
Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 AM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Good tip....another I use is to glue the intake gaskets to the head with yellow 3M adhesive and then paint the intake side of the gasket with anti-seize. This way you can remove the intake without tearing the gasket. It seals well and can R&R'd many times without replacing. Old school drag racing trick I used in the seventies.

Fred
Old 12-21-2013, 11:13 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Carb on the way back!!!!

Quick Reply: Carb on the way back!!!!