C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-coat frame or not??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 PM
jimkari
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default E-coat frame or not??

I have a '73 convertible that I pulled the body on and disassembled the frame. I am having the frame, control arms, and trailing arms dipped to remove all the rust. The cost is $700. If I want everything e-coated it's an additional $900. I can have just the frame e-coated for $550. I don't know if it's worth doing any e-coating or maybe just the frame since the e-coating is a dipped process that should coat the entire inside of the frame. Part of me says don't cheap out and at least have the frame e-coated. But then I've read about some products from Eastwood that seem like they'd do a decent job for a fraction of the cost. I am really torn. This is not going to be a show car, but rather I hope it turns out to be a nice restoration that is also a car I want to drive on a regular basis.

I really appreciate any advice from the Forum.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 12-12-2013, 08:10 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jimkari
I have a '73 convertible that I pulled the body on and disassembled the frame. I am having the frame, control arms, and trailing arms dipped to remove all the rust. The cost is $700. If I want everything e-coated it's an additional $900. I can have just the frame e-coated for $550. I don't know if it's worth doing any e-coating or maybe just the frame since the e-coating is a dipped process that should coat the entire inside of the frame. Part of me says don't cheap out and at least have the frame e-coated. But then I've read about some products from Eastwood that seem like they'd do a decent job for a fraction of the cost. I am really torn. This is not going to be a show car, but rather I hope it turns out to be a nice restoration that is also a car I want to drive on a regular basis.

Thanks,

Jim
I had my frame, front frame extension, radiator support, trans. and fuel tank crossmembers acid dipped and powdercoated for $900 a few years back.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 AM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could have the frame sand blasted for less .then epoxy paint it your self .
Old 12-12-2013, 08:57 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

sand blast and powdercoat. the powder gets inside the frame pretty well, if the guy powders properly
Old 12-12-2013, 11:42 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Are you trying to create a "museum" piece that will last FOREVER? Or are you creating a very nice "driver" car? If you are not going for museum quality or NCRS Top Flight awards, why spend that amount of money on it? Few people will actually SEE it...except for you. Just get it blasted well and paint it with a good quality frame paint or epoxy paint (if you must). Spend your money more wisely on things that are meaningful. You won't be driving the car in [salt-laden] winter conditions. Why go nuts on the frame?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 PM
SS164
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks,

Jim

Blasting does nothing to benefit the interior of frame. Dip the frame and e-coat or take your dipped frame to your local Ziebart dealer and have interior of frame coated. Then prime and paint exterior. You only get one chance to do it right. http://www.ziebart.com/ziebart---home/locations
Old 12-12-2013, 12:32 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SS164
You only get one chance to do it right.
This was my thought...not about the dipping specifically (although that would be the best way to get ALL The contaminants out), but about doing it RIGHT.

If you have a bare frame in your hands, you're going to be a SPLENDID amount of money spent to get the car back on the road. Debating spending $1k versus $2k on the foundation of the car makes it seem that this is the last money you'll spend on the project.

To me it's a no-brainer. Do whatever it is you want to the frame to make it last as long as possible.

I'm not talking about spending $7k on the thing...I'd get a new SRIII for that...I'm just talking about not splitting hairs. Do it right...whatever you think right is.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:43 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

After I got my frame back from powdercoating, I coated the inside of the frame with Fluid Film.

http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/automotive/
Old 12-12-2013, 12:54 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It sounds pricy but I'd think you would be happy with the end result. You do only get one chance to get the frame how you want it without pulling it all apart again.

At work, I've seen enough cases of powder coating starting to peel due to contamination under it that I would be hesitant to do a frame. Sure, it works great when done perfectly, but it becomes a complete mess that is very hard to fix if it's not sticking or rust is spreading underneath it.

Another option I've seen work well was to hot dip galvanize the frame. That also gets everywhere and then you can coat it with a cheaper chassis paint. If it gets a scratch through the galvanizing the metal only rusts at that spot so the rust won't spread out under the paint for a long time.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-12-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

I sandblasted mine and used zinc-oxide primer and epoxy paint about 10 years ago and it has held up well on my driver.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:19 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Are you trying to create a "museum" piece that will last FOREVER? Or are you creating a very nice "driver" car? If you are not going for museum quality or NCRS Top Flight awards, why spend that amount of money on it? Few people will actually SEE it...except for you. Just get it blasted well and paint it with a good quality frame paint or epoxy paint (if you must). Spend your money more wisely on things that are meaningful. You won't be driving the car in [salt-laden] winter conditions. Why go nuts on the frame?
I refuse to scrap, sandblast take a toothbrush soaked in varsol and clean the bottom of the frame. Unless you trailering it with mirrors to put underneath for a car show it's a waste of time.

My frame is in perfect condition and I believe one of the main reasons for being in that condition is all the oil and grime built up over the years stops any rust from forming. Just one persons opinion.

Don't get me wrong it still looks OK but it's what your car is going to look like a few years down the road after spending thousands cleaning it up, worse you could expose some areas that might even rust.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:22 PM
PeteL46
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,

Jim
My two cents. If you intend to keep the car do it right. Could you imagine 5 years from now, even ten, cleaning the chassis and finding the beginnings of rust. The old phrase will come to mind. . "could of, should of, would of" If you plan on selling it in the near future blast it, prime it an paint it.
PeteL46
Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 AM
jimkari
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys, thanks for all the great advice. I really appreciate the tips and tricks.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:59 AM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, thanks for all the great advice. I really appreciate the tips and tricks.
Great advice from all.

Just remember.

"While your at it itis" will add up to 10's of thousands of dollars that you will never get back. You could say what your saying about the frame on every system, subsystem and part on the car.

Good luck with the resto.

Get notified of new replies

To E-coat frame or not??

Quick Reply: E-coat frame or not??