C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 turn signals won't work - help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 81 turn signals won't work - help

Ok so as the title says my 81, the turn signals won't work....here are the facts

All bulbs are new and work
When parking lights are on the turn signal bulbs are lit (expected)
When headlights are on the turn signal bulbs are lit (expected)
Hazards work (all 4) and blink as expected
New turn signal switch installed last weekend

When I put turn signal for left - left front signal stays solid and all rear lights go out !

When I put turn signal for right - nothing happens all lights stay in "parking light" illumination

When I replaced the turn signal switch I used my existing cam lock plate
I wil order a new one as I do not hear the wheel "click" as I turn and as a result it does not return the turn signal back to center

Thoughts on the no "blink" of my left and right ?!?! Ground issue, the old turn signal cam ?!?! Im at a loss

Last edited by Brians1; 03-23-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Brians1
Ok so as the title says my 81, the turn signals won't work....here are the facts

All bulbs are new and work
When parking lights are on the turn signal bulbs are lit (expected)
When headlights are on the turn signal bulbs are lit (expected)
Hazards work (all 4) and blink as expected
New turn signal switch installed last weekend

When I put turn signal for left - left front signal stays solid and all rear lights go out !

When I put turn signal for right - nothing happens all lights stay in "parking light" illumination

When I replaced the turn signal switch I used my existing cam lock plate
I wil order a new one as I do not hear the wheel "click" as I turn and as a result it does not return the turn signal back to center

Thoughts on the no "blink" of my left and right ?!?! Ground issue, the old turn signal cam ?!?! Im at a loss
Were the turn signals working properly with the headlights OFF as well as on prior to replacing the ts switch? Could be a ground issue I would start there first. I had a brake light/ts issue different from yours, I have learned to start with the simple checks first. If the lights were not working properly bf replacing the ts switch before checking your grounds you may have expanded your issues. Please keep the forum posted and good luck.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

To answer the question...no they were not working before I changed the turn signal switch
I'm thinking it's a ground issue as well....not sure where to check on that though ? I started at the tail lights...all have power and are grounded. I put a fresh fuse in the fuse box as well and as indicated the flashers/hazards work

I did notice I do not hear the hazards at all...is that an indication as well, no "blinker sound"?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Jig A Low
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try replacing the "flasher" unit on the fuse block, it's a large round "can" looking thing, they are cheap and if it's as old as the car, it's probably time anyway. other than that, double check your bulb in the rear of the car, I have seen people manage to get dual element bulbs in sockets for single elements and vice/versa, that will cause all kinds of operation issues.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Jig A low,
Thats actually a great suggestion for me to check - I didnt think of that - the PO did do a lot of crazy hacks...wont suprise me if those bulbs are in there. I'll report back.
Also yes I plan on swinging by Autozone on my way home and getting a new Fuse block for the flashers just in case...I will use the book and get the brake lights as well and just replace the back bulbs. The front one's I personally replaced 2 weeks back - I used the ones listed in the book - I will double check as well to ensure the ones it listed are Single element.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 turn signals won't work - help

Quick Reply: 81 turn signals won't work - help