Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Vert Lite RestoMod Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Headers are off the car. Next up is the power steering pump and then the water pump.
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Ranger24
Pro

It has been a little while since my last update. Since then I've added a winch to the lift and pulled the motor/trans from the car. The plan now is to clean and paint the remainder of the frame and firewall, swap the front suspension with the other half of the Van Steel set up, new wiring harness, electric head lamps and finally rebuilt motor. Lots of pics as I progress through this part of the project.

On a side note, I didn't have the facility to pull the motor myself (slanting car port) so I reached out to Black Wolf Auto in Woodbridge VA and they've been outstanding so far. Chris drove to my house, picked the car up, pulled the motor and brought the car back for what was a reasonable price in my mind. You folks in VA who've asked about good shops in the past should perhaps give these guys a try. They will be working with a machine shop to tear the motor down and determine what that awful knocking sound is. We suspect a wrist pin but not sure. Then we build a beast.
Attached Images    
Old 11-10-2014, 07:43 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Cant wait to see what ya build.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Ranger24
Pro

This weekend I was finally able to start working on the rest of the frame under the car. There was tons of grease and crap on the rails and the under body. It looked like someone shot me with a grease cannon after I came out from under the car. Also started removing pieces (coolant tank, wiper fluid tank etc.) from the fire wall to include pulling the wiring harness away and diss-assembling the wiper mechanics. I also removed the heat shields from the firewall and of course I spun the studs off so I'll be doing quite a bit more riveting of parts, which isn't that big a deal.

The one thing I'm not quite certain of is if/when I remove the vacuum system will I need to do something with the PCV valve assembly since it's part of this system. I will be installing electric motors in place of the vacuum systems for the lights and wiper door etc. so does the PCV valve route somewhere else now that the vacuum tank will be unneeded? I'll figure that out at some point but if anyone has any input please share.
Attached Images   
Old 11-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Spent this weekend removing parts from the engine compartment. Only a couple of more items to take out (control arms and brake booster). I removed the steering column, steering box and suspension links as well.

The brake booster is proving to be somewhat of a challenge given the location of that upper left bolt positioned behind the peddle assembly. Not sure how I'm going to get to that yet. I was able to start the cleanup process of the firewall, frame and fender wells.

I paid a visit to Black Wolf auto on Friday to check out the shop and speak with Chris about the motor build. Some nice goodies going on it so I'm motivated to finish up the front end soon.
Attached Images    
Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Ranger24
Pro

I had to complete one last task before leaving for Costa Rica or it would have bothered me the whole week. I removed the brake booster and vacuum canister from the car this morning. For those who have not done this before it's a MFer but doable without taking the dash out. In addition, you must remove the booster to remove the vacuum canister.

The most helpful tool, based on input from another thread, is duct tape on the swivel joint for the socket. This worked great in getting to that upper left nut, which is barely visible. Next task will be to remove the A arms and then it's resto time for the engine compartment.
Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Quick update on progress. Disassembled the remaining front suspension components, cleaned the frame and drive tube and got paint down on the cross member, frame and tube. I also cleaned up and painted the blower box and assembled the blower motor. Should be able to finish painting the FW and rear portion of the engine compartment this coming weekend. That means we're getting close to putting the motor back in the car.

I dropped some pieces off at Black Wolf and they had the rebuilt motor on a stand in the shop and she look mue bueno. Unfortunately I didn't drag the camera down there so as soon as I get it off my phone I'll post for everyone to see.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Pics
Attached Images      
Old 12-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Rebuilt motor waiting on me.
Attached Images   
Old 12-20-2014, 01:35 AM
68thumper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ranger24
Rebuilt motor waiting on me.
Great Project! I have a Richmond 6 speed in my 68 vert...which one are you putting in yours? BTW, nice paint color...competition yellow?
Old 12-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

You're doing an awesome job. Something so many of us would like to do, but don't want to tackle. While you're at it, you might replace that heater core if it's at all old. I did mine this past year. From the looks of it, you have a non a/c car as I do. That core will come out fairly easily from the engine side if you are at all inclined. Well worth the little extra time and effort. Merry Christmas.
Duane
Old 12-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Originally Posted by 68thumper
Great Project! I have a Richmond 6 speed in my 68 vert...which one are you putting in yours? BTW, nice paint color...competition yellow?
Sunflower yellow. I'm going to put the Munci back in the car. I was thinking about the Tremec 5 speed but at the moment it's cost prohibitive with everything else I'm doing. I figured I wouldn't be driving very many highway miles so opted to wait.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Originally Posted by Duane4238
You're doing an awesome job. Something so many of us would like to do, but don't want to tackle. While you're at it, you might replace that heater core if it's at all old. I did mine this past year. From the looks of it, you have a non a/c car as I do. That core will come out fairly easily from the engine side if you are at all inclined. Well worth the little extra time and effort. Merry Christmas.
Duane
Thanks, I really appreciate the vote of confidence. It's a one step at a time project, bagging and tagging is critical and having a shop that's willing to hang on to the motor etc. until I'm ready to put it back in is a must since I don't have a garage. The guys at Black Wolf have been great to work with. I though about the heater core but it appears to be in good shape. I know the heater box was off the car recently so I think that's what they were replacing. Who knows...

Happy holidays to you as well, hope you get all kinds of goodies for the ride.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:21 PM
Ranger24
Pro

I finally got to spray the firewall and it pops now. I also sprayed the rails up to the motor mounts.

I discovered the first real rust problem but thankfully it's in a spot I can easily replace. As I was cleaning the rad cross member I noticed a nice hole rusted right through so I'll just drop it and replace it with another one. I may be able to finish cleaning and painting everything by the new year. Kind of excited about putting new parts on the car but the brake booster is on back order, which is a bummer.
Attached Images    
Old 12-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Here's a photo of the cross member. Hard to tell from the photo but I pushed right through with my finger.
Attached Images   
Old 12-21-2014, 08:36 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

It's looking g o o d (er)!

Old 01-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Over the Holidays I've been able to spend quite a bit of time finishing up the frame work and have started installing a few new parts.

Ran into an issue with the new brake booster Paragon sent...it don't fit! When I opened it and looked at it I had my suspicions. I confirmed them today as I test fit the new MC and it won't work with the BB they sent so I've ordered one from Cardone, which is an exact match to what I removed (the MC fit the old BB like a glove). The other issue with the BB I was the brake pedal rod was a 1/2" too short. I'll post some pics of those in a later post.
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Vert Lite RestoMod Project

Old 01-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Stock Booster vs. new one
Attached Images    
Old 01-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Ranger24
Pro

New parts...
Attached Images    
Old 01-18-2015, 05:03 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Got a little colder here so I've been working on a lot of small parts to include rebuilding the headlamps. My counter top blast cabinet has come in really handy for this effort. Installed the new electric motors also.

I was able to complete painting the engine compartment before the really cold weather arrived and my wiring harnesses finally arrived. Once I have the headlamps back on the car I'll lay those out, match them to the original harness and tag the key terminals for the engine installers.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 72 Vert Lite RestoMod Project