C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75 First Brake Job - Video?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Sebastian
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 75 First Brake Job - Video?

I'm tackling my first brake job on my 1975 convertible. Only 50,000 orig. miles, so very likely has original rotors. Can someone direct me to a very good step-by-step site or video? The youtube video I saw said the rotors were rivetted to hubs and had to be drilled out. Holy smokes is that true? As far as I can tell, there should be no problems with calipers as it stops straight and there's no leaks. Just want to replace rotors and pads myself to save some money. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Sebastian
...The youtube video I saw said the rotors were rivetted to hubs and had to be drilled out. Holy smokes is that true?...
Stock front and rear rotors were riveted to their hubs. You do not have to drill out the factory rivets unless you're swapping rotors. Factory rotors seldom need to be replaced. Mic yours. If they are within factory specs, leave them alone.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Sebastian
Advanced

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Factory rotors seldom need to be replaced. If they are within factory specs, leave them alone.
Thanks Mike. When I last looked, they were rusty around the edges. Should I try cleaning with a wire brush or not bother?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks Mike. When I last looked, they were rusty around the edges. Should I try cleaning with a wire brush or not bother?
Not bother.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default rusty edges

My 1968 and 1970 original owner Corvettes with original rivetted factory rotors are rusty around the edges, brake performance not affected with this. Wire brushing is okay if you want to do it.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:02 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure to bleed the brake fluid .if the rotors don't have any groves ,you can scuff up the rotor surface with a 3M stripping wheel.you just remove the caliper to get the inside of the rotor .check all of you rubber brake lines for any cracking .
Old 06-27-2014, 11:51 AM
Sebastian
Advanced

Thanks Guys. How many quarts of brake fluid do you figure I need to bleed the system well?

Get notified of new replies

To 75 First Brake Job - Video?

Quick Reply: 75 First Brake Job - Video?