C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very stiff turn signal lever

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Very stiff turn signal lever

I replaced the turn signal lever pivot which was so floppy they didn't work, and replaced the turn signal switch too. If it was this stiff before I got my hands on it I can see how the pivot got worn out! Have any of you solved this problem? It's easier on right turns than left turns. My car is an '82 but bubba put a '79 column in it at some point.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It all depends if you have the steering wheel hub and the shaft clocked in the correct position. IF your turn signals do not cancel out in the same spot when used (opposite of each other)...you can have something turned/rotated incorrectly inside the column and the turn signal cancel springs in the turn signal switch are hitting on the contact points of the horn contact inside the column.

If you steering wheel is straight...turn it one way or the other little bit and see if the strain goes away....if it does ..it is in the column.

If when you installed the pivot it was free and moved easily....then I would not consider it. Then I would get into the column again and verify the notch on the main shaft is at 12 o'clock when the wheels are straight. If not...that is where I would start...because moving your hub to correct this is not correct.

DUB
Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
It all depends if you have the steering wheel hub and the shaft clocked in the correct position. IF your turn signals do not cancel out in the same spot when used (opposite of each other)...you can have something turned/rotated incorrectly inside the column and the turn signal cancel springs in the turn signal switch are hitting on the contact points of the horn contact inside the column.

If you steering wheel is straight...turn it one way or the other little bit and see if the strain goes away....if it does ..it is in the column.

If when you installed the pivot it was free and moved easily....then I would not consider it. Then I would get into the column again and verify the notch on the main shaft is at 12 o'clock when the wheels are straight. If not...that is where I would start...because moving your hub to correct this is not correct.

DUB
This is great advice, my steering wheel is a little offset from the mark on the shaft. I'm going to be getting an alignment after I get my differential back and in so I'll make sure the wheel is centered to the shaft!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

First of all, I assume we are talking about a tilt & telescoping steering column. (All 1982 Vettes were T&T.)

It is true that you want the steering column centered so that the turn signals cancel equal distance from center in right and left turns. However, equal or unequal does not address high effort(s) to cancel.

There is a crossover arm that reaches from the turn signal switch to the dimmer pivot. There is a small roller that engages the pivot. It should be lubricated.

There is a flat dent spring on the turn signal switch that requires lubricant as it slides on the switch. Note, one flat spring snaps the hazard switch in and out. The other flat spring engages the right and left turn detents.

Jim
Old 06-30-2014, 07:55 AM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
First of all, I assume we are talking about a tilt & telescoping steering column. (All 1982 Vettes were T&T.)

It is true that you want the steering column centered so that the turn signals cancel equal distance from center in right and left turns. However, equal or unequal does not address high effort(s) to cancel.

There is a crossover arm that reaches from the turn signal switch to the dimmer pivot. There is a small roller that engages the pivot. It should be lubricated.

There is a flat dent spring on the turn signal switch that requires lubricant as it slides on the switch. Note, one flat spring snaps the hazard switch in and out. The other flat spring engages the right and left turn detents.

Jim
Thank you for this, I'm sure that it will do the trick! I wanted to find and fix this, I think I bought the last pivot because they don't show up as available any more.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim Shea

Jim
That did the trick, thanks again!
Old 08-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

I took off the steering wheel and adapter, this allows access to the turn signal switch and enough access to the pivot and roller.

Get notified of new replies

To Very stiff turn signal lever

Quick Reply: Very stiff turn signal lever