C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 Corvette starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 05:11 PM
AllenNCRS
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Corvette starting problems

I have a 1976 Corvette that I am having problems getting started. About a month ago I tried to start the car and when I turned the key it would not turn over, interior lights came on but no starter turn over. Checked when I had last replaced the battery and it was 4 years. Replaced the battery and it started right up. Ran the car for a while to operating temperature and also turned on air conditioning. Turned the car off and forgot to power down the drivers window to re-attach trickle charger.
Car would not start again. Looked at repair manual and the problem could be in starter solenoid, so bought parts to rebuild original starter. When I put in the rebuilt starter in it just started to spin and would not stop when I turned off key switch. Bought a new ignition switch on steering column under dash and also bought a rebuilt starter and installed. Tried to start again and acted like a bad battery again, lights came on but no starter turnover. Have purchased a neutral starter switch at shifter and I am waiting for delivery as it is on back order. I have cleaned battery ground on frame and checked if fusible links to starter all they are both OK.
What am I missing???
Old 07-30-2014, 08:38 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You could have a bad battery lead...internal to the insulation. Or, you might be missing the main starter ground wire from frame to right motor mount/starter bracket. (see recent similar post)

I suspect that the starter solenoid with your FIRST starter change was defective and that's why the starter continued to run. I also suspect that your car's electrical system has a "drain" on it when the ignition key is removed. The ignition switch and NSS replacements were likely unnecessary, even though your symptoms might have indicated their involvement.

Keep the battery charger on the battery overnight. Read the amount of charge from the charger before you go to unhook it. That charge rate may be close to the amount of current drain your car's electrical system is experiencing.

If, after charging all night, the car starts up fine, you need to diagnose the current drain[s] in your car with key OFF. (With doors open, the interior lights will draw current; remove those bulbs, if you want to detect other draws).

Use SEARCH function to learn how to diagnose electrical 'drains'.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Jbster
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How are your battery cables? What voltage are you getting at the starter?

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Corvette starting problems

Quick Reply: 1976 Corvette starting problems