C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all 1982 Crossfire Experts!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Stewzer55
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all 1982 Crossfire Experts!

There is a great wealth of information on the '82 CFI here, so much so that I need help in finding the right direction to go with figuring out what I need to do to get this '82 running right so it may be enjoyed and driven as it should be.

1982 Corvette with 22K miles, it's had its fuel injectors replaced, new cap, rotor coil, plugs, fuel filter, air filters, TPI fuel pump and it still has a stumbling, surging idle, poor acceleration and is generally running poorly.

I understand that the fuel pressure regulator may need adjustment and have tried to get it adjusted the best I can without a fuel pressure gauge and without the proper tool to adjust it on the intake.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:45 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The fuel pressure regulator is sealed under a block off cap on the rear TB. did you remove the block off ?
I found most CFI vettes I've worked on have a huge vacuum leak under the plenum plate. So you need to install the felpro gasket under it.
Second, CFI vettes like a lot more timing advance than the manual calls for.
Doing those two things will usually get it running good!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Stewzer55
Cruising

Thanks, I did read about the plenum gasket, yes, I did punch out the block-off on the rear tb, I think I might need to increase the pressure some more. It seems all the smog era cars seem to like more timing that than the manuals call for that I have found, it makes them run better but smoggier IIRC.

Last edited by Stewzer55; 08-14-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:04 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

i got scammed on an 82 vette that the supposed motor burnt 2 quarts of oil on the power tour.... junk....scammers will eventually pay one way or another...
Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Default Throttle Body Cross Shaft

The cross shaft on the CFI throttle bodies have been notorious for wearing and resulting in vacumn leaks, even on relatively low mileage cars. Do a search on them and you may find the information helpful in diagnosing your problem.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I HATE to write this...BUT GUSTO14 is correct...if the throttle shafts have play in them...you have a problem. OR the potential of a problem.

AS for 'guessing' on what you fuel pressure is pointless. YOU MUST use a fuel pressure gauge. And also hooking up a scanner would be advisable. You have to have the correct tools when working on this car. If not...you are fighting a loosing battle. This is FROM EXPERIENCE> I have everything from A-Z and including the manometer to balance the throttle bodies.

You have an issue with either a vacuum leak...coolant temp sensor and IAC's...or fuel pressure. The voltage value of your TPS is also a factor to some degree. You value in volts of your MAP sensor will let you know a lot if you hooked up a scanner.

Surging or 'hunting idle' ..especially when the computer has gone into 'CLOSED LOOP" is an indicator of low fuel pressure. High probability that that is what it is...but more can come into play here.

DUB
Old 08-17-2014, 12:13 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Default *

Originally Posted by Stewzer55
There is a great wealth of information on the '82 CFI here, so much so that I need help in finding the right direction to go with figuring out what I need to do to get this '82 running right so it may be enjoyed and driven as it should be.

1982 Corvette with 22K miles, it's had its fuel injectors replaced, new cap, rotor coil, plugs, fuel filter, air filters, TPI fuel pump and it still has a stumbling, surging idle, poor acceleration and is generally running poorly.

I understand that the fuel pressure regulator may need adjustment and have tried to get it adjusted the best I can without a fuel pressure gauge and without the proper tool to adjust it on the intake.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
From personal experience with my `82, there is a good chance - based on what you have said that you have already done - you have a vacuum leak. I did everything that you stated that you did - and, what you did was important, then there were two things that I believe fixed mine: 1. went through the entire vacuum system, particularly the headlight system, and snipped off 1/4" of hose from every connection to give it a fresher connection. Then, 2. I tightened the intake manifold bolts using a regular ratchet wrench. The idle slowed down and my seasoned (40 years) Corvette shop owner said that my crossfire runs like they did when they were new.

Dave
Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

He can easily remove and cap the vacuum port on the intake and take the headlights and HVAC vacuum out of the equation by removing the hose at that port fitting.

If the engine idles fine when it is cold and then all of a sudden ...when it has gotten warmer...it all of a sudden starts to 'hunt' the idle and go up and down. I would be looking at your O2 sensor values and then if it is in CLOSED LOOP...I would bet ti will have something to do with your fuel pressure not being set high enough.

If you don't have one...you can find a Snap-On 'red brick' scanner for cheap. it will give you the data you need to know.

DUB
Old 08-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Default *

Originally Posted by DUB
He can easily remove and cap the vacuum port on the intake and take the headlights and HVAC vacuum out of the equation by removing the hose at that port fitting.

If the engine idles fine when it is cold and then all of a sudden ...when it has gotten warmer...it all of a sudden starts to 'hunt' the idle and go up and down. I would be looking at your O2 sensor values and then if it is in CLOSED LOOP...I would bet ti will have something to do with your fuel pressure not being set high enough.

If you don't have one...you can find a Snap-On 'red brick' scanner for cheap. it will give you the data you need to know.

DUB
Dub, you are an asset to this special Forum - thanks for all you do.
Dave
Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lakeside49
Dub, you are an asset to this special Forum - thanks for all you do.
Dave
Dave,
I do what I can....anything that can save time and aggravation and still achieve a good end result.

'Spinning my wheels' in a repair is something that I can not afford due to doing this for a living...so I pass along 'things' that will give help people. If they choose to do it is up to them.

DUB
Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Default *

Originally Posted by DUB
Dave,
I do what I can....anything that can save time and aggravation and still achieve a good end result.

'Spinning my wheels' in a repair is something that I can not afford due to doing this for a living...so I pass along 'things' that will give help people. If they choose to do it is up to them.

DUB
Well - it sure is appreciated, sir.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Stewzer55
Cruising

Thanks for your help, it surges when cold too and will die.
Does the engine have to be running to set fuel pressure?
Where can I get the FPR adjustment tool? DCS seems to no longer be selling anything.
The TB shafts don't seem to have any play in them.
The only OBD-1 scanner I have is a bent paper clip right now.
I would not put it past the headlight vacuum system to be leaking, I thought it was okay because the headlights come up just fine.
I know that the '74 parked next to it has new headlight vacuum lines and I'd prefer that it was converted to electric anyway (cam cam cam).
Old 08-19-2014, 07:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stewzer55
Thanks for your help, it surges when cold too and will die.
OK..not good...obviously
Does the engine have to be running to set fuel pressure?
YES..but it can be set another way with the throttle body broken down also. I believe that data is in the 1984 service manual.
Where can I get the FPR adjustment tool? DCS seems to no longer be selling anything.
I had a good friend make mine. I can see what he can do for you. i will talk with him and get back with you on this.
The TB shafts don't seem to have any play in them.
Very good...also make sure the staked ends are still staked well. I have had good shafts but the staked on provisions were loose causing me not to be able to set the balance and have it be consistent.
The only OBD-1 scanner I have is a bent paper clip right now.
You know where I stand on this.
I would not put it past the headlight vacuum system to be leaking, I thought it was okay because the headlights come up just fine.
Put a small hose to your ear CAREFULLY...and then put it at the bottom of your actuator relays where the square plastic end is.....below the bottom big vacuum hose...and listen.
I know that the '74 parked next to it has new headlight vacuum lines and I'd prefer that it was converted to electric anyway (cam cam cam).
New vacuum lines does not mean that the system is sealed.

DUB
Old 10-08-2014, 06:12 PM
LastC3AZ
Racer

Originally Posted by bebezote
i got scammed on an 82 vette that the supposed motor burnt 2 quarts of oil on the power tour.... junk....scammers will eventually pay one way or another...
WTF ......... Why am I hearing this on here instead of a call from you directly .??????????? And how long have you had the car now ..... BS !!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Calling all 1982 Crossfire Experts!

Quick Reply: Calling all 1982 Crossfire Experts!