C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 ignition lock cylinder replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 05:20 PM
77bluvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 ignition lock cylinder replacement

79 ignition lock cylinder replacement with tilt and telescoping. I have the steering wheel off but im confused as hell on how to get the coloum sleeve off or what i need to do next....
Old 08-16-2014, 06:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 77bluvette
79 ignition lock cylinder replacement with tilt and telescoping. I have the steering wheel off but im confused as hell on how to get the coloum sleeve off or what i need to do next....
You might want to contact Jim Shea here in the forum. he may have a paper or video showing how to do it. I can walk you through it but you need some special tools to do this and you will need to replace the plastic insulator that will shatter when you try to remove it due to age.....OR take it to someone who has a steering hub puller and a lock plate suppressor and a Allen set screw and wrench...along with a Phillips head screwdriver...and the socket.ratchet for the hub.

WATCH OUT for your upper horn contact and the spring loaded contact...if it flies out...the small black plastic retainer can be very hard to find and you will need to buy a new contact to just get that retainer.

DUB
Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 PM
77bluvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
You might want to contact Jim Shea here in the forum. he may have a paper or video showing how to do it. I can walk you through it but you need some special tools to do this and you will need to replace the plastic insulator that will shatter when you try to remove it due to age.....OR take it to someone who has a steering hub puller and a lock plate suppressor and a Allen set screw and wrench...along with a Phillips head screwdriver...and the socket.ratchet for the hub.

WATCH OUT for your upper horn contact and the spring loaded contact...if it flies out...the small black plastic retainer can be very hard to find and you will need to buy a new contact to just get that retainer.

DUB
i have the steering column to the point where i just removed the steering wheel but am lost as to what i need to do next everything says to remove the steering column sleeve but i don't know how i don't have any specialty tools but every normal tool i can think of i have. i don't have a lock plate suppressor, is there away around using one? step by step directions would be great
Old 08-17-2014, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

i have the steering column to the point where i just removed the steering wheel but am lost as to what i need to do next everything says to remove the steering column sleeve but i don't know how i don't have any specialty tools but every normal tool i can think of i have. i don't have a lock plate suppressor, is there away around using one? step by step directions would be great
DID YOU contact JIM????

You do not need a lock plate suppressor....BUT TRUST ME....YOU will wane to have one....and you have to have anew plastic insulator like I wrote above...NO WAY around that ...unless you are planning on RIGGING this to save a few $$$

You also need the puller to remove the hub...and that you have to have.

I need a photo of where you are at if you plan on NOT contacting JIM.

You HAVE TO HAVE some more tools other than what you have and I am not going to try to figure out a way to use what you have. You need these tools.

DUB
Old 08-17-2014, 11:44 PM
77bluvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
DID YOU contact JIM????

You do not need a lock plate suppressor....BUT TRUST ME....YOU will wane to have one....and you have to have anew plastic insulator like I wrote above...NO WAY around that ...unless you are planning on RIGGING this to save a few $$$

You also need the puller to remove the hub...and that you have to have.

I need a photo of where you are at if you plan on NOT contacting JIM.

You HAVE TO HAVE some more tools other than what you have and I am not going to try to figure out a way to use what you have. You need these tools.

DUB
contacted jim and have got the ignition lock cylinder out, thanks for all the help
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

contacted jim and have got the ignition lock cylinder out, thanks for all the help
I am glad you got it completed.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 79 ignition lock cylinder replacement

Quick Reply: 79 ignition lock cylinder replacement