C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end alignment and conversion to Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 AM
Yeznat
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end alignment and conversion to Power Steering

OK so I converted my manual steering 1972 Stingray to a power Steering Setup, I also added a hydroboost power Brake system to the Base Model Vette. During the conversion I swapped out all the old front end suspension for new stuff..... Stuff includes, Ball joints... upper and lower , tie rod ends and rods, Idler arm , Pitman arm for Power Steering, upper and lower A arm bushings. the Power Steering kit came with all the control valves, actuators, linkage and pulley.
the only things that I did not change on the front were the shocks, springs and sway bar bushings

So I got it all together the systems work fine and of course the last step in getting it all back together was the alignment. so the computer alignment went well. the car drives nice and straight.

the issue I have is when I accelerate hard the front comes up and I get tire squeal and the front gets loose.

now some additional information the rear end has all new trailing arms spindle bearings and bushings thru out. the rear end seems tight.
although I do not have a rear sway bar. could this be causing the issue with the from coming up under acceleration

Has anyone had similar issues with the front end.
Thoughts and comments welcome

Last edited by Yeznat; 09-02-2014 at 01:06 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 09-02-2014, 01:32 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Assuming your steering box is tight and that you're not on the verge of a wheelie, it sounds like you might possibly have excessive front tire scrub during suspension travel into droop, causing beyond normal loss of traction when the front end unloads (BTDT).

It's usually best to work on the end of the car with the apparent problem first. With that in mind, what are your static alignment specs, and current springs, bar and shocks?

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 09-02-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Had that situation on one that had some front end frame damage. It had been pulled and left with excessive spread on the front cross member. It had a serious stack of shims on both sides. We worked that back a little and realigned. But, another thing found while working it out was that the upper a arm bumpers were not installed which let it lift more than it should.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Yeznat
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Assuming your steering box is tight and that you're not on the verge of a wheelie, it sounds like you might possibly have excessive front tire scrub during suspension travel into droop, causing beyond normal loss of traction when the front end unloads (BTDT).

It's usually best to work on the end of the car with the apparent problem first. With that in mind, what are your static alignment specs, and current springs, bar and shocks?
The springs are oem orignal the shocks seem firm with no excessive float the front sway bar is also oem stock as far as I can tell when I had the front end out I measured the springs for height they were within 1/8 in of each other don't recall overall length I will load the alignment specs when I get back home but Goodyear computer specs for 72 vet is what was used
Noticed the skunkworks reference LM ??
Old 09-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Yeznat
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by wombvette
Had that situation on one that had some front end frame damage. It had been pulled and left with excessive spread on the front cross member. It had a serious stack of shims on both sides. We worked that back a little and realigned. But, another thing found while working it out was that the upper a arm bumpers were not installed which let it lift more than it should.
New bumpers installed and the front is or at least looks good no bends or bumps where they don't belong on the frame. only a few shims on upper a arms
Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Yeznat
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Yeznat
The springs are oem orignal the shocks seem firm with no excessive float the front sway bar is also oem stock as far as I can tell when I had the front end out I measured the springs for height they were within 1/8 in of each other don't recall overall length I will load the alignment specs when I get back home but Goodyear computer specs for 72 vet is what was used
the gear box was a little loose minor adjustment prior to alignment to remove excess play
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeznat
I always recommend aligning to specs such as those published by VBP or Guldstrand which best match an individual's purposes, and to demand fine tolerances be kept. Merely being within factory specs here leaves a lot of wriggle room, and those specs don't necessarily meet everyone's needs.

As for LM, no, I'm just an avid enthusiast of the black arts. If interested, you're welcome to read more about that here starting at the OP...

Get notified of new replies

To Front end alignment and conversion to Power Steering

Quick Reply: Front end alignment and conversion to Power Steering