C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Gauge problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:13 PM
B. Figueroa
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Gauge problems

recently installed new dash,driver and passenger panels and new center console w new gauges. Voltage,oil pressure, clock, seem to work ok. Water Temp always reads @230 and goes down to 220 after driving a while. Ran out of gas today new gauge showed 1/4 tank also installed a new low fuel sensor which never came on. A new circuit board was also installed. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:40 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

you installed a new gauge for the fuel gauge? If you did, did you re-use the resistor. If you did remove it and the gauge should read correctly. The new gauges have the resistor built into the pod so you use the spacer that came with the gauge and no resistor.

If you have the resistor in place, you're now running 180 ohms resistance..

Willcox
Old 09-06-2014, 12:20 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Why would you replace gauges that worked fine??? Any changes you make to something requiring 'calibration' is asking for problems.

Sorry... I'm just against the process of swapping out 'stuff' just to make it look better...

Also.. Whenever one makes changes to gauges, it is best to check calibration and/or operation before complete reassembly. Differences in calibration between sensors and gauges is a VERY common issue.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-06-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:20 PM
B. Figueroa
Heel & Toe

Default Gauges

[QUOTE=7T1vette;1587769747]Why would you replace gauges that worked fine??? Any changes you make to something requiring 'calibration' is asking for problems.

Sorry... I'm just against the process of swapping out 'stuff' just to make it look better...

Also.. Whenever one makes changes to gauges, it is best to check calibration and/or operation before complete reassembly. Differences in calibration between sensors and gauges is a VERY common issue.[/QUOTE
Old 09-06-2014, 04:22 PM
B. Figueroa
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the reply but were did you get the idea that the old gauges were working fine... just FYI the old gauges were not working..... I too do not enjoy spending money uselessly .............
Old 09-06-2014, 04:33 PM
TBONE1972
Advanced

My question to you is where did you buy the new gauge cluster? Is it a restored factory cluster or a reproduction. What was the original problem with the gauge(s) that did not work and how is it now compared to the originals.

What did you fuel gauge do before you replaced the cluster. The resistors on the gauge typically range between 97-103 OHMs and depending on the manufacture may or may not be required. I would make sure that is not your case.

Have you done a OHM test on the sending unit? It has a 0 (at empty) - 90 OHM (full) range. They are easy to test if you have a DVOM.

I would not be surprised to find out the fuel gauge needle was installed incorrectly. It is a common problem on stock gauge restorations.

I can help you diagnose if you are willing to do some procedures.

Take care,
Tom
Old 09-06-2014, 04:49 PM
B. Figueroa
Heel & Toe

Thank you for your reply. Yes I did install a new fuel gauge and a new low fuel warning module. I did not use the old resistor. The fuel gauge at 1st showed 3/4 full and I ran out of fuel at 1/4 tank. Im also trying to find out were the water temperature sending unit is on the 77 350 block
Old 09-06-2014, 05:00 PM
B. Figueroa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TBONE1972
My question to you is where did you buy the new gauge cluster? Is it a restored factory cluster or a reproduction. What was the original problem with the gauge(s) that did not work and how is it now compared to the originals.

What did you fuel gauge do before you replaced the cluster. The resistors on the gauge typically range between 97-103 OHMs and depending on the manufacture may or may not be required. I would make sure that is not your case.

Have you done a OHM test on the sending unit? It has a 0 (at empty) - 90 OHM (full) range. They are easy to test if you have a DVOM.

I would not be surprised to find out the fuel gauge needle was installed incorrectly. It is a common problem on stock gauge restorations.

I can help you diagnose if you are willing to do some procedures.

Take care,
Tom
the old gauge showed a full tank and did not move... Gauges were purchased from Volunteer Vette made by Delco....thank you for your help..
Old 09-06-2014, 05:29 PM
TBONE1972
Advanced

Originally Posted by B. Figueroa
Thank you for your reply. Yes I did install a new fuel gauge and a new low fuel warning module. I did not use the old resistor. The fuel gauge at 1st showed 3/4 full and I ran out of fuel at 1/4 tank. Im also trying to find out were the water temperature sending unit is on the 77 350 block
The water temperature sending unit should be located on the drivers side cylinder head between number 1 and 3 cylinders. The wire should be a 20 gauge, green in color.

Since you bought these and they were Delco parts, they should use a resistor to work correctly. Did the new gauge come with a new resistor or instructions that advise against using one?

When the gauge does not respond at all, it usually means it has lost 12V to the gauge or the gauge is just bad. Now that you have a new gauge, it sounds like you have another issue. What happens if you remove the tan wire from the sending unit or un hook the ground from the sending unit? The gauge should read at 3 o clock.

Is the fuel gauge sending unit easily accessible on a 77? I am not that familiar with the year.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:17 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

The gauges are not made by Delco... they are imported from China in a Delco box. Bogus b/s if you ask me... but I'm not the one making them. I carry them as do other vendors... and they work nicely when installed. But they also come with a tiny print instruction sheet and if you don't pay attention to it.. we'll they won't work if you use the original resistor in line your new gauge will not work properly.

IMHO,

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 09-07-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:17 PM
TBONE1972
Advanced

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The gauges are not made by Delco... they are imported from China in a Delco box. Bogus b/s if you ask me... but I'm not the one making them. I carry them as do other vendors... and they work nicely when installed. But they also come with a tiny print instruction sheet and if you don't pay attention to it.. we'll they won't work if you use the original resistor in line your new gauge will not work properly.

IMHO,

Willcox

Good information Willcox. I have not had the pleasure of working with these new Delco gauges. I prefer to find good used originals and bench test them before they are installed.

It seems to be a common theme for these new aftermarket gauges that are eliminating the resistors and throwing a lot of people a curve ball.

Thank you for the knowledge.
Tom
Old 09-07-2014, 09:49 PM
B. Figueroa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

IMHO,

Willcox

Thank you Tom and Willcox..great information..The 77 Vette was a Birthday gift from my son last year... its restoration has become a father son project. Im retired he works so we usually work together when hes available. I have a sneaky hunch that when the gauges were installed in the new bezel a 4th nut was added to the studs around the temp gauge. The Willcox video shows only three nuts to be installed and the other stud left w/o a nut... stating that this nut would ground out the ohm wire. My son doesn't think we added that 4th nut. We will ck this tomorrow when we remove the cluster ... Thank you again.

Last edited by B. Figueroa; 09-07-2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: too many nuts!!!! LoL
Old 09-07-2014, 10:36 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TBONE1972
Good information Willcox. I have not had the pleasure of working with these new Delco gauges. I prefer to find good used originals and bench test them before they are installed.

It seems to be a common theme for these new aftermarket gauges that are eliminating the resistors and throwing a lot of people a curve ball.

Thank you for the knowledge.
Tom
Sad part is they are NOT Delco gauges... No megusta china.
They are china made.. how they get way with this I have no idea... It's sad that the boxes say Delco...

I've done extensive research on all the gauges over the years and the end result is the video's, tech pictures and tech video's on our site to help you guys..

But one of the most common mistakes made with the china gauges is that the resistor is used.. when this happens you are doubling the resistance on the gauge and it will always cause a problem.

If I was the OP.. I'd pull the center bezel.. and double check the resistors.. if they are there, remove them.. If they are not then you contact me at the support address and make sure you tell me what the needle is doing because the needle will always tell the tale..

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Gauge problems

Quick Reply: C3 Gauge problems