C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Transmission for ZZ383

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:06 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Default New Transmission for ZZ383

It will be soon that the snow will be coming back. It time to start planing the winter project of replacing the TH350 (stock) with something that better suits the 1978 car with a ZZ383 for road track driving.
I would like a 6 speed. Either manual or auto. For Manual I would like to use a T56 close ratio with hydraulic clutch or auto but not sure they is anything in a 6 speed ?

So first I have read a few posts on T56's installs. I have never done this type of mod. I have pulled the TH350 and re-installed without problems, replaced the stock L48 with the ZZ383 and added a serpintine kit, but not sure about this auto to manual conversion.
The main concern is on the shifter location and mod's to make it work in a 1978 corvette. I did not find any companies with complete conversion kits using a T56. A few with TKO's but I would like a better shifting transmission than the TKO. They seem to be a hit and miss.

So parts.
T56 transmission
New Drive shaft
Clutch
Bell housing

Any other things that need looking at ?

Quick Reply: New Transmission for ZZ383