C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L88 Air Cleaner Drop-Base work with Aftermarket Fuel Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Super6
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default L88 Air Cleaner Drop-Base work with Aftermarket Fuel Injection?

Has anyone added an aftermarket throttle-body-type fuel injection set-up and used a standard L88/LS6/L36 factory 2" drop base air cleaner assembly with it? I'm thinking of adding injection to my 540. I currently have a Victor Jr. single plane manifold, an L88 non-fresh-air-chamber hood and the factory drop base open air filter assembly.

Also, what was the true installed cost of your fuel injection system and what did you use? How happy are you with it? Any problems. I don't want to substitute carb inconsistencies for EFI issues.

Thanks in advance for any advise and opinions.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:30 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I used the L-88 base and made the L-88 air box functional. I'm have the Holley HP EFI and I'm using their single plane intake. I had to mill 1/2" off the top to get it under the hood.

My true cost... well, my motto is to never add up the receipts!

It could be duplicated for less... I also went with a stainless tank with in-tank pump, extra wideband O2 with gauge, etc.

Runs well. Never regretted dumping the carb. I consider them semi-controlled fuel leaks.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Super6
Burning Brakes

Bump.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

A while back I decided to upgrade the engine in my 1969 BB corvette convertible. Went with an all aluminum Dart 540 setup. Back in the late 70's we had the original 427 modified for L-88 type performance. (High compression, high rise intake, GM L-88 hood, etc.). Old school horsepower requiring high octane racing or av-gas fuel. Hard to have much fun driving these days with only pump gas readily available.

Anyway, wanting to keep the same look of the car , a major design requirement was to fit and interface with the GM L-88 hood with its airbox un molested. The high horsepower Dart engine had a few constraints as well.
This is what I have ended up with. I will be dropping it in, hopefully, this weekend for initial fit checks

Engine configuration:
540 cubic inch (~10.2 CR)
Dart aluminum short block
Dart Pro1 CNC 355 aluminum heads
SCAT 4.25 forged crank
SRP 10 cc domed pistons
Manley piston rods
Proprietary Mechanical Roller Comp Cam
Super Victor intake drill modified for shorty low impedance injectors
Jones accessory brackets.
FAST low profile 1,375 cfm Throttle Body

I purchased an aftermarket drop base that should fit after some modification for the Low Profile Fast Throttle body linkage. I plan to put a small K&N air filter in place of the old screen guard. Even though the Throttle body has the larger Dominator like intake ports, it will fit up into the hood just like the old L-88 design.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:45 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Bullshark, I would probably get into trouble with a motor like that!
Old 11-28-2014, 04:16 AM
Super6
Burning Brakes

Bullshark, fantastic engine and execution!

I'm looking to see if a throttle body type with the injectors and mini-fuel logs in one piece will fit under the factory drop base.

George, I bought a fuel injection set-up, but there was a car attached to it.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:35 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullshark
A while back I decided to upgrade the engine in my 1969 BB corvette convertible. Went with an all aluminum Dart 540 setup. Back in the late 70's we had the original 427 modified for L-88 type performance. (High compression, high rise intake, GM L-88 hood, etc.). Old school horsepower requiring high octane racing or av-gas fuel. Hard to have much fun driving these days with only pump gas readily available.

Anyway, wanting to keep the same look of the car , a major design requirement was to fit and interface with the GM L-88 hood with its airbox un molested. The high horsepower Dart engine had a few constraints as well.
This is what I have ended up with. I will be dropping it in, hopefully, this weekend for initial fit checks

Engine configuration:
540 cubic inch (~10.2 CR)
Dart aluminum short block
Dart Pro1 CNC 355 aluminum heads
SCAT 4.25 forged crank
SRP 10 cc domed pistons
Manley piston rods
Proprietary Mechanical Roller Comp Cam
Super Victor intake drill modified for shorty low impedance injectors
Jones accessory brackets.
FAST low profile 1,375 cfm Throttle Body

I purchased an aftermarket drop base that should fit after some modification for the Low Profile Fast Throttle body linkage. I plan to put a small K&N air filter in place of the old screen guard. Even though the Throttle body has the larger Dominator like intake ports, it will fit up into the hood just like the old L-88 design.

Where did you get the drop base, thanks

Last edited by vstol; 11-29-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:39 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Bullshark,
Check with Chip about using a wire screen flame arrestor for the smaller screen filter. It should look a little more like the stock L88 screen unit and fit the TB.

Get notified of new replies

To L88 Air Cleaner Drop-Base work with Aftermarket Fuel Injection?

Quick Reply: L88 Air Cleaner Drop-Base work with Aftermarket Fuel Injection?