C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Power steering pump leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:03 PM
Higgy76
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 Power steering pump leak

Just installed a rebuilt pump. NAPA swapped the pulley and stud. The leak is at the stud. Was something missed? O-ring, rtv on the threads? Just not tight enough. Would prefer to repair in place rather than pull the pump. Any suggestions?
Higgy

Last edited by Higgy76; 10-21-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:06 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgy76
Just installed a rebuilt pump. NAPA swapped the pulley and stud. The leak is at the stud. Was something missed? O-ring, rtv on the threads? Just not tight enough. Would prefer to repair in place rather than pull the pump. Any suggestions?
Higgy

I realize you have only one stud.... item (4) is a flat faced o-ring that is inside the cover and seals against the backside of the cover and the pump when the bolt (10) is tightened... maybe taking a wrench to that 3/8 bolt and snugging it up would stop the leak. The hole the stud threads into is a blind hole, I doubt sealer will help, but it can't hurt....use sealer sparingly.
Jim

Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 AM
Higgy76
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Leaking stud

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that aftermarket studs have a hex flange/nut on them for installation, I suspect it would help in compressing the o-ring too, my stud doesn't have this flange/nut or didn't when I removed it. The old pump leaked in front and back, except the pressure fitting, it was dry. Sounds like I'm pulling the pump.
Higgy
Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is a pic of the power steering pump housing with the two stud seals in place.

The stud presses the sheet metal reservoir tight against the seal.

Jim
Old 10-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Higgy76
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Power steering pump leak

Well i tried tightening the nut on the stud that holds the pump in place, like I said the stud has no hex flange, to little avail maybe slowed the seeping a bit. Next move, un-Bubba the stud. Thanks for the info.
Higgy

Get notified of new replies

To 76 Power steering pump leak

Quick Reply: 76 Power steering pump leak