C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How difficult is it to switch odometers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:42 PM
kaz1961
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How difficult is it to switch odometers?

I want to swap a 140 mph 1979 speedo into my 1980. I would like to put my original odometer/trip odometer into the replacement speedometer. Is it easy to swap the odometer over?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Might want to touch base with your DMV. You want to make sure you're not breaking the law fiddling with odometers.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:12 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Asking the DMV anything is never a good idea.
Most states don't care about how accurate the mileage is on a car that old and since the speedos aren't sealed, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it- Especially since you want to keep the actual mileage anyway.

The odometer drum on most speedos come out fairly easily if you wanted to put your old drum into the new speedo head.
The only thing you need to do (carefully!) is to remove the pointer and the face plate (dial) to get at it.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:00 PM
kaz1961
Pro

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Might want to touch base with your DMV. You want to make sure you're not breaking the law fiddling with odometers.

I was thinking that by putting the "new" odometer on my car I might be breaking the rules but if I swapped in the original odometer I would be avoiding that problem. NY is a PITA about everything and at the yearly inspection the mileage on the odometer has to be entered into the inspection machine by the repair shop. Don't want to send up any red flags at inspection time.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:14 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by kaz1961

I was thinking that by putting the "new" odometer on my car I might be breaking the rules but if I swapped in the original odometer I would be avoiding that problem. NY is a PITA about everything and at the yearly inspection the mileage on the odometer has to be entered into the inspection machine by the repair shop. Don't want to send up any red flags at inspection time.
If you're replacing the speedometer and retaining the same odometer/reading, what possibly would be the issue?
Nothing has changed and unless they take pictures of your speedometer every year, they wouldn't have a clue that you did anything.

I understand your concerns about being legal and you need to do what you need to do-
I'm just saying that involving the DMV with a non-issue opens up a can of worms you don't want to get involved in.
I suspect if they have you follow the "letter of the law" this change will need to be done by a certified shop and all sorts of paperwork will need to be provided.
It's your money and your call.

Last edited by ezobens; 10-22-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:58 PM
VetteNURSE
Racer

Originally Posted by ezobens
Asking the DMV anything is never a good idea.
Most states don't care about how accurate the mileage is on a car that old and since the speedos aren't sealed, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it- Especially since you want to keep the actual mileage anyway.

The odometer drum on most speedos come out fairly easily if you wanted to put your old drum into the new speedo head.
The only thing you need to do (carefully!) is to remove the pointer and the face plate (dial) to get at it.
I'm with you, don't ask don't tell!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ezobens
...I'm just saying that involving the DMV with a non-issue opens up a can of worms...
All I'm saying is the DMV may not consider this to be a non-issue.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:54 AM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I swapped a '79 140 speedo into my '81...had a speedometer shop match the mileage on the 140 to the old 85mph...so the mileage on my car is the same as before the swap.... Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:21 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
All I'm saying is the DMV may not consider this to be a non-issue.
Understood-
And that is why I'm only suggesting options to save the op some grief. These laws are intended to prevent shady used car dealers from rolling back the odometer and selling the car with a stated mileage that is less than actual.
The op wants to keep the original mileage, not to do anything unethical.

As well all know (?), the government loves to make issues out of non issues on a regular basis and that stated procedure often overrules common sense.
Just sayin'
Old 10-23-2014, 03:37 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Check your registration/title. Mine (Texas) says "odometer exempt", with the explanation that it is "beyond mechanical limits". The status is automatic for any car once they reach a certain age.

Setting a specific reading on the new odo is fairly simple. You remove the drum from the speedo head (there's a tiny clip holding the shaft). Once it is out you just spin the individual drums until it reads what you want it to.

I did this on mine when I swapped to a new speedo.

Get notified of new replies

To How difficult is it to switch odometers?

Quick Reply: How difficult is it to switch odometers?