C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:55 PM
Dtodd21
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 Stingray

Hello All,

Im new to the forum and to the corvette world. I purchased my first vette in May, and I am ready to upgrade it. I have a 73 350 with a Holley performance carburetor. I am hoping to get some insight or direction on to what to do under the hood. I was thinking about putting a LS1 motor inside or just upgrading the camshaft, new headers and exhaust. Ill also add im looking for the right bang for my buck move. Any suggestions? Thx
Old 10-30-2014, 06:54 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

First, welcome aboard

Second, what's your experience working on cars?
What's your budget?
What is your end goal for the car?

There's 3 kinds of people in this world.......people that can count and people that can't
Old 10-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Dtodd21
2nd Gear

Thanks for replying. I have some experience working on cars. Not so much classic cars though. I'm looking at a 5k budget but if I can find options less than that that'll work I'm all ears. My ultimate goal is to have a great sounding, bang for my buck, Vette with distinct performance. If that makes any sense
Old 10-30-2014, 07:21 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

It is great that you already have a budget. That really helps determine where things can lead for the time being. I have a feeling (because I have no personal experience) that $5k would be right on the edge of what it would take at a minimum to do an LS1 swap, and that is if you go to a junk yard, pull the motor and all the parts you need, and put it into your car and do all the work on it.

If you just want a great "sound" you could easily do a cam swap and a different exhaust system. Distinct performance in a 40+ year old vehicle for $5k? Not sure about that. These cars can be great performance cars, but they take a lot of work to get to that point.

I am sure others will chime in and give you different options. While we wait for those other opinions, why not share some pictures of what you are starting with?

Good Luck
Old 10-30-2014, 07:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I honestly do not think that you are going to get what you want ...and stay in the 5K budget.....and that is even if you do all the work yourself. LS1 and all the 'things' required....best of luck on that one. Not saying that you can not get it done on budget....but I do this for a living and I do not know if I could do it for that.....and have it be the way I would want it when completed.

I can understand what you are looking for....but staying in budget...is going to be hard...due to if you want it RIGHT..and also where it is going to last....it is going to be a logistic nightmare in getting all of this within budget. The second you start 'settling' for lesser quality parts and omitting certain procedures due to cost...the end result can begin to suffer....either in performance or longevity. It is not so much the engine...it can effect the transmission and the differential and so on.

DUB
Old 10-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As Dub has stated, your $5,000 budget MAY cover the LS/transmission swap if you are careful in selecting parts. My question is; what about the rest of the car? My 73 coupe with only 45,000 miles (licensed and on the road) still needed a complete suspension and steering rebuild due to age. Then there was the interior, brakes, trim, tires, etc just to make it safe and fun to drive!

Even if you purchased the best car available (fresh frame off restoration) it is going to need something. Most of us have learned that a good running classic Corvette is going to cost you either up front or on the way home from the sale. I am in no way trying to discourage you from your plans; just maybe concentrate on building the whole car and not just the engine. I personally have had my new motor assembled on the stand for almost a year while I get the car sorted out. I really don't need 450+hp on tap if the steering is loose or the springs and shocks are weak.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Aumie
Advanced

Old 10-31-2014, 12:51 AM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

If the bottom end of your engine is still fine, you could replace the cams and heads (and possibly intake), and then upgrade the exhaust as you see fit. The 73 already has true dual exhaust, so you won't need to do as much upgrading as some of us later C3 owners.

Aluminum heads run in the ballpark of $1,000 depending on what kind you get, a cam is around $200, and intake is probably another $200. So, for $1,400, you have the ingredients for making some good power.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ontario73
As Dub has stated, your $5,000 budget MAY cover the LS/transmission swap if you are careful in selecting parts. My question is; what about the rest of the car? My 73 coupe with only 45,000 miles (licensed and on the road) still needed a complete suspension and steering rebuild due to age. Then there was the interior, brakes, trim, tires, etc just to make it safe and fun to drive!
BUT...he only asked about an engine.

WHEN I give my opinions on subject matter that is not pertaining to the question asked in the post...often times I get a response that shows appreciation...and then I get a response that is down right filled with ATTITUDE....because I gave an opinion on something that I thought would be helpful.

So in this case.. ..I stayed on task.

And as for pulling heads and bumping up a cam and all the other things needed to get it to run great. YES...that is do-able....but I might add that increasing horsepower and torque significantly...and NOT addressing the integrity of the crank, rods and pistons can be a recipe for disaster. GM began using weaker parts in the bottom end of engines on the base models after the 'hay-day' of high horsepower engined Corvettes. SO....seriously increasing HP and torque...and expecting the cast crank, cast pistons and weak rods to hold up to increased compression...for any serious length of time and be reliable...is questionable. I KNOW it can be done...but how long will it hold up....because I have seen bottom ends scatter apart....and I have seen them hold up....just something to consider...is all I am trying to convey.

DUB
Old 11-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Aumie
Advanced

Again
If you do decide to go aluminum heads, i have a set of skip white's and they are great and only around 750$ ready to go.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:27 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There are several ways you could go, depending on your expected outcome. Because you asked this question, I am thinking you will not be able to do the LS engine/trans/computer/fuel swap for that budget. I did a LS/six speed swap for less than half of your budget, but I do a lot more fab and mechanical work than most. It also takes time to do it all yourself.
Do you have the ability to just do the LS engine swap (with carb & original trans) - probably if you are a decent mechanic. But - would that be worth the trouble over a new crate SBC or upgrading your old small block? I would probably checkout your existing engine and do some upgrades there if it is in good shape. You will get all kinds of answers here. Some here only buy new stuff, and pay someone to do it, and at the other end you have those who pick up used stuff and do their own work -there is a big difference in money spent. As said earlier, it is an old car, and other parts may need some work. Good Luck
Old 11-01-2014, 06:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 74modified
There are several ways you could go, depending on your expected outcome. Because you asked this question, I am thinking you will not be able to do the LS engine/trans/computer/fuel swap for that budget. I did a LS/six speed swap for less than half of your budget, but I do a lot more fab and mechanical work than most. It also takes time to do it all yourself.
Do you have the ability to just do the LS engine swap (with carb & original trans) - probably if you are a decent mechanic. But - would that be worth the trouble over a new crate SBC or upgrading your old small block? I would probably checkout your existing engine and do some upgrades there if it is in good shape. You will get all kinds of answers here. Some here only buy new stuff, and pay someone to do it, and at the other end you have those who pick up used stuff and do their own work -there is a big difference in money spent. As said earlier, it is an old car, and other parts may need some work. Good Luck

I ASSUMED that the LS engine he would install would have been fuel injected design...and not with a carburetor. Sometimes I have a 'brain-fart'.

I also did not take into account if he was going to do it all himself....thus NO LABOR charges.

I know actual dollars that I would invest would be minimal...but I always figure in my time...and that is where the costs can rise...getting 'thing' fabricated and look like someone with a 'clue' knew what they were doing when it was completed.

I will write this for those who are NOT experienced...and want to do 'whatever':
I get many Corvettes in my shop each year that were 'modified' by a 'do-it-yourselfer'...and in many cases I HAVE TO correct many 'things' what were either not well thought out or were hastily installed. Many of these people do not look at the big picture and how things will work in the future...they seem to only be concerned about getting it in and working so they feel some level of accomplishment. If you are not experienced...and want to do something yourself...STOP and take the time to do your HOMEWORK and make sure you cover all possibilities....and if you do not know what 'possibilities' you have to think of...ASK SOMEONE. Now this is also depending on the level of technical knowledge required to do what you plan. HAVE FUN and do it yourself...the more you do...hopefully the more you learn....just do not think that just because some people make it seem easy...sometimes it is not as easy as it looks..... and it took time and to learn all the 'issues' that need to be addressed CORRECTLY.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 73 Stingray

Quick Reply: 73 Stingray