C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Frame Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 06:04 PM
pbennett
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 73 Frame Replacement

I'm in process of doing a frame off on my 73 350 4 speed and it turns out it needs a new frame. Anyone out there know what years are compatible?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

how about this option

http://www.streetshopinc.com/frontpa...t-chassis.html
Old 11-18-2014, 06:54 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

69-74 frames will work. If you buy a frame from an auto trans car you have the removable trans crossmember that makes mounting the engine/trans easier.

A 74 frame will need the bumper plates cut off. Earlier frames have front frame bumper mounting holes that don't quite match the 73. I put a 73 frame under my 72 and had to fudge around with the bumper support brackets to get them mounted.

You can use a 75-later frame also but you will have to cut the rear section of your frame and graft it onto the later year frame. There are pics in the forums showing how that looks. Fortunately the rear sections of rotted frames are usually in pretty good condition so you could use your frame as a donor.

Rick B.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Call 'Vette Products of Michigan'. They make replacement factory frames. I have had to get several from them over the years.

DUB
Old 11-18-2014, 07:47 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

http://www.colliertechnologies.com/products.html
Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 AM
pbennett
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbennett
I'm in process of doing a frame off on my 73 350 4 speed and it turns out it needs a new frame. Anyone out there know what years are compatible?
Thanks for the explanation of the differences and other options too.

I found a direct replacement - 73 4 speed - and although a bit pricey I think that's the way I'll go.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:03 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Call 'Vette Products of Michigan'. They make replacement factory frames. I have had to get several from them over the years.

DUB
How's the quality and price? I thought I read somewhere there were some alignment issues? I've seen vendors selling used, reconditioned frames for about $4000.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
How's the quality and price? I thought I read somewhere there were some alignment issues? I've seen vendors selling used, reconditioned frames for about $4000.
I do not know what you mean about 'alignment issues'...You need to be more specific and not so vague. This response can be given by people who do not know what they are doing....or teh competition trying to give the parts a BAD reputation.

I have not had a problem with them...and the costs of repairing the factory rusty frame is kinda pointless in most of the cases when the frame needed to be replaced...

AND...I do not like to use used frames...unless they are really in good shale and cheap due to it will go on a frame machine and have it measured out and pulled to get it correct...and if it is bad enough...that can end up costing so close to a new frame with NO RUST...it becomes a 'darned if you do----darned if you don't' scenario.

DUB
Old 11-22-2014, 06:52 PM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

A new one was about $5300 delivered to Maine. A good used one 2-3k but ya gotta find it and go get it.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:58 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I do not know what you mean about 'alignment issues'...You need to be more specific and not so vague. This response can be given by people who do not know what they are doing....or teh competition trying to give the parts a BAD reputation.

I have not had a problem with them...and the costs of repairing the factory rusty frame is kinda pointless in most of the cases when the frame needed to be replaced...

AND...I do not like to use used frames...unless they are really in good shale and cheap due to it will go on a frame machine and have it measured out and pulled to get it correct...and if it is bad enough...that can end up costing so close to a new frame with NO RUST...it becomes a 'darned if you do----darned if you don't' scenario.

DUB
I'm going from memory regarding the alignment issues. Somebody claimed there was a minor problem. I don't remember what it was. If you say you've had good luck with them that's all I'd need to hear, endorsement from somebody who has used them. I've thought about looking into one myself.

Get notified of new replies

To 73 Frame Replacement

Quick Reply: 73 Frame Replacement