C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help turn signal issue

Hello I have just got my corvette back from paint and before I put the rear tail light lens back on I checked lights and turn signals etc... The passenger side rear turn signal is not working. I have changed the light bulb with a known good one still not working. Hazard lights flash only driver side and front lamps. I turn on headlamps and that rear element lights. When I turn on the turn signal the dash indicator lights solid (no flashing) and no light in the back passenger lamp. If I look close at the front lamp it is extremely dim and solid. The sockets are clean with no paint and corrosion. Do the wires run along the side where the door thresholds are. Just trying to see if maybe a wire is pinched. Everything worked fine before the paint job.
Paul
This was posted in General but I guess here might be better.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi P.E,
The rear lighting harness runs along the left rocker channel under the carpet and just to the inside of the sill plate.
The sill plate needs to be removed to access the harness.
Back at the lights…are all the grounds connected? I believe there's one at each light. The ground forms a 'string' from light to light.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi P.E,
The rear lighting harness runs along the left rocker channel under the carpet and just to the inside of the sill plate.
The sill plate needs to be removed to access the harness.
Back at the lights…are all the grounds connected? I believe there's one at each light. The ground forms a 'string' from light to light.
Regards,
Alan
Alan, I checked and the grounds are all there. I will have to check the wires running up the left (drivers side?). It sounds like a screw could not nick a wire putting the sill plate on? It is acting like a burned out bulb. I don't know what else to check. It is just strange before the painter no problem and now no turn signal.
Paul
Old 11-23-2014, 07:05 AM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

Anyone else with stuff to try?
Old 11-23-2014, 04:46 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I think I would double check the parking lamp connection to the main harness. It's pretty common for the ground to not make contact and then back feed. I feel sure you have a ground issue. You could up-plug the parking lamp and insert a test lamp in it's place. Use the light blue and black wires (lh side) and the dark blue and black (rh side). (the brown wire is the parking lamp)

If that's not the case I'd then pull the lens and bulb out of the tail lamp and with test light, test the brass in the housing is a good ground. If you don't have a good ground on the brass then touch the housing stud.

If you have done the above then the next place I would check would be the turn signal switch connector. Make sure it's plugged in nice and tight.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-23-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:50 AM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I think I would double check the parking lamp connection to the main harness. It's pretty common for the ground to not make contact and then back feed. I feel sure you have a ground issue. You could up-plug the parking lamp and insert a test lamp in it's place. Use the light blue and black wires (lh side) and the dark blue and black (rh side). (the brown wire is the parking lamp)

If that's not the case I'd then pull the lens and bulb out of the tail lamp and with test light, test the brass in the housing is a good ground. If you don't have a good ground on the brass then touch the housing stud.

If you have done the above then the next place I would check would be the turn signal switch connector. Make sure it's plugged in nice and tight.

Willcox

Where is the parking lamp connection to the main harness? Steering column? front to bach disconnect? BTW where is the front to back disconnect located? I will try all the above.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Many times the connection where the black wire goes into the brass light socket corrodes and you loose the ground. Here's a way to check.

Connect a wire to a good ground and touch the brass and see if the bulb lights up.

Last edited by Peterbuilt; 11-24-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt

Many times the connection where the black wire goes into the brass light socket corrodes and you loose the ground. Here's a way to check.

Connect a wire to a good ground and touch the brass and see if the bulb lights up.
I verified a good ground and used a multimeter to check it. I even disconnected the ground and checked for corrosion as well as in the light socket. I will be bringing home a power supply and apply 12 vdc to the dark green wire at the connector at the base of the steering column is.

Anyone know where the front to back diconnect connector is located?
Old 11-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Checking if you have 12 volts at both sides of the harmonica connection might fix your open circuit.

The next connection might be at #3.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

My lights are ALL working now thanks to Willcox Corvette's diagram. It ended up being the connector under the dash. I unpluged it to put 12volts on it and I told myself that I needed to check what is not working and what is working first. So I plugged the connector back together and started with the Hazard lights and they worked so with those working the turn signal should too. Sure enough I tried the turn signal and they worked. The painter must have kicked the connector getting in and out of the car. Everyone thanks for all the help.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:25 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Paul.Ebach
My lights are ALL working now thanks to Willcox Corvette's diagram. It ended up being the connector under the dash. I unpluged it to put 12volts on it and I told myself that I needed to check what is not working and what is working first. So I plugged the connector back together and started with the Hazard lights and they worked so with those working the turn signal should too. Sure enough I tried the turn signal and they worked. The painter must have kicked the connector getting in and out of the car. Everyone thanks for all the help.
Sweet.. Glad you got it fixed!

Have a happy Thanksgiving.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Help turn signal issue

Quick Reply: Help turn signal issue